Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Canadian Railroads > Complete name(s) on 1955 Canadian Park series observations

Date: 04/25/24 09:55
Complete name(s) on 1955 Canadian Park series observations
Author: boejoe

Found photos (Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania archives) taken in New Hope Pa (!) on Reading Company publicity trip by Budd Co.  I can only see the word Park on a dome/observation.  Trying to determine what the complete name might have been for these cars.  Other photos suggest there were seven cars in the special train.  Assistance appreciated.
jb

Date: 04/25/24 16:25
Re: Complete name(s) on 1955 Canadian Park series observations
Author: jp1822

I saw a video on this, and I am pretty sure it was only one Park Car in the publicity train to New Hope, PA. It was basically a sampling of all the car types as if it was "The Canadian" that was to be launched. There's a promotional video that was done, but not sure if it showed the car names up close, but it did show an aerial of the cars travelling from Philadelphia to New Hope, PA on the Reading. 

Date: 04/25/24 18:25
Author: boejoe

Thanks for that info.  Will search for the video.
jb
I was directed to a site for the Government of Canada.  Not sure if there is a charge to go further.
I also learned from the Phila Chapter NRHS Cinders newsletter (May 1955) that the trip took place on April 15, 1955.  Trip sponsored by Budd Co and Wanamakers (department store)
It included a fashion show along with liquid refreshments.  The dome cars were restricted in some places due to catenary clearance and in a couple places the power was turned off as the train passed.  The event was covered in the society pages of the newspaper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/24 07:20 by boejoe.

Date: 04/26/24 07:41
Author: jp1822

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for that info.  Will search for the
> video.
> jb
> I was directed to a site for the Government of
> Canada.  Not sure if there is a charge to go
> further.
> I also learned from the Phila Chapter
> NRHS Cinders newsletter (May 1955) that the trip
> took place on April 15, 1955.  Trip sponsored by
> Budd Co and Wanamakers (department store)
> It included a fashion show along with liquid
> refreshments.  The dome cars were restricted in
> some places due to catenary clearance and in a
> couple places the power was turned off as the
> train passed.  The event was covered in the
> society pages of the newspaper.

Positive that this was all referenced in the video too. It was a promo video on the Canadian and then included this debut video that had been done. I remember that the train was videotaped from a helicopter on the Reading Line between Philly and New Hope.......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds