Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Canadian Railroads > Fraser Canyon - Day 2 - 21-May-2024

Date: 05/21/24 18:38
Fraser Canyon - Day 2 - 21-May-2024
Author: johnusnsd

Soooooo, the rain came today - contrast to the bright and sunny Monday - cloud cover was thick all day - presenting some challenges for some of my photos (especially with canyon walls.....but, still fun.
I pretty much started in Lytton and headed to Black Canyon.   Rancher was again not available for me to obtain permission to access the south side of Black Canyon from his ranch - - and ideal spot - but I opted for the DRZ split on the east end at Basque (at the Thompson River Bridge) - and chased some during the drive (weather permitting).

I had no idea initially that the entire town of Lytton was pretty much wiped out by the fire - which explains the new structures going up - but the town is far from recovered.   Sad to see the destruction - years later.

And, not sure if I mentioned it - but really like that CP and CN call signals - as it makes it so nice to locate a opportunity.   

1-2.  Heard on the radio that a WB went into emergency - and just happened to see the tail end accessible (somewhat) from the road - so first catch of the day was CN 3269 on the rear at Martinson.
3.  So, chased 8911 EB from Lytton pretty much to where HWY 1 breaks away from the tracks and heads towards Ashcroft......CP 8911 - WB - Lytton.

Date: 05/21/24 18:40
Re: Fraser Canyon - Day 2 - 21-May-2024

4.  CP 8911 through the burned out trees - from a pullout on HWY 1.
5.   And top shot from the pullout.
6.   CP 8911 - WB - Approaching Martel

Date: 05/21/24 18:42

7-8.   Talk about timing - just wish the light had been better.    Caught 2 trains in the same frame - CP 9368 - on the rear of a WB -  and the CP 8911 EB on the south side of the river - near Martel.   2nd shot is just wider (hoping for better exposure....lol).
9.   And, the last of 8911 before the road breaks away.

Date: 05/21/24 18:43

10-12.  CN 3876 - WB at the Thompson River Bridge (start of the DRZ).

Date: 05/21/24 18:46

13-15.  And, the WBs just kept coming (7-10min apart)  CP 8870 - Thompson River Bridge

Date: 05/21/24 18:48

16-18.   Shifted over to the other side of the bridge - and actually liked the results better on this side - and surprise catch of CN 3930 still sporting I am told the "CitiRail (CREX)" paint scheme - Thompson River Bridge.

Date: 05/21/24 18:51

19-20.   And, the next trainset contained another x-CitiRail (CREX) paint scheme on the trailing unit CN 3932 - with CN 3098 leading the WB at the Thompson River Bridge.
21.  CN 3336 - rear DPU - Thompson River Bridge

Date: 05/21/24 18:53

22.  KCS 4603 - on the rear of the WB CP at Thompson River Bridge.
23-24.   Finally caught an EB at the bridge - CN 3813 - EB - Approaching Basque  

Date: 05/21/24 18:55

25-26.  CN 3308 Rear DPU - EB - approaching Basque
27.  CP 8148 on the rear of a coal drag - WB - Martel

Date: 05/21/24 18:57

28.  CP 8148 - Rear of a Coal Drag - winding thru the curves at Martel.
29.  CP 8824 - WB - Three Tunnels (2 visible)
30.  And, last shot - driving through Boston Bar and spotted power sitting at the crossing - grabbed a quick shot of CN 3098 during a crew change.

Date: 05/21/24 20:11
Author: railsmith

johnusnsd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 10-12.  CN 3876 - WB at the Thompson River Bridge
> (start of the DRZ).

The DRZ actually starts two miles east of there, at a point named Nepa on CP's Thompson Sub. (Mile 54.8) and Coho on CN's Ashcroft Sub. (Mile 57.03 and 57.47). The east end of the bridge in this photo is at Mile 59.4, Ashcroft Sub.

In between the connection and the bridge is Basque, at 58.4 on CN and 56.8 on CP.  Before the Nepa/Coho connection was established, Basque was the site of a connection for emergency purposes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/24 20:17 by railsmith.

Date: 05/21/24 20:17

johnusnsd Wrote:
> 29.  CP 8824 - WB - Three Tunnels (2 visible)

Those are the Skoonka Tunnels and rocksheds. Tunnels at Mile 80.2, 80.4 and 80.5, rockshed at 80.3. CN Ashcroft Sub. (Spences Bridge is at 74.8).

Date: 05/21/24 21:21

Thank you for the additional info you provided on my images from yesterday - and today.   Do you at least like some of the photos - or just schooling me on my first visit to the area.....lol.......The entire area takes multiple visits to learn the exact locations of everything (just such a vast expanse of railroading) - and I appreciate the clarification - I can use it for my next visit.

railsmith Wrote:
> johnusnsd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 29.  CP 8824 - WB - Three Tunnels (2 visible)
>
> Those are the Skoonka Tunnels and rocksheds.
> Tunnels at Mile 80.2, 80.4 and 80.5, rockshed at
> 80.3. CN Ashcroft Sub. (Spences Bridge is at
> 74.8).
>  

Date: 05/22/24 02:20

johnusnsd Wrote:
> Thank you for the additional info you provided on
> my images from yesterday - and today.   Do you at
> least like some of the photos - or just schooling
> me on my first visit to the area.....lol.......The
> entire area takes multiple visits to learn the
> exact locations of everything (just such a vast
> expanse of railroading) - and I appreciate the
> clarification - I can use it for my next visit.

You've already gotten a nice selection of photos for a first-time visit. The milepost data I've provided can be found in the Canadian Trackside Guide (2024 edition now available from Bytown Railway Society) or Railway Mileposts of British Columbia, Volume 1, by Roger Burrows, published in 1981 (best chance to find a copy would be online).

Indeed, it takes multiple visits to learn the details. And as you've seen, the opportunities for food and fuel have been shrinking over the years. It's really just Hope, Yale, Boston Bar and Cache Creek/Ashcroft that offer those, so you have to plan ahead. One place to eat at Spences Bridge and no fuel anymore, as I recall. I hope Lytton will be revived.

Here's another angle to go for next time -- the Cape Horn rocksheds, at Mile 93.7/8/9, CN Ashcroft Sub., in the DRZ. The locomotives are about to enter Cape Horn Tunnel at Mile 94, with Lytton about four miles ahead.  The view is from the day picnic area of Skihist Provincial Park, on June 25, 2018, at 17:42.

And finally, a plug for the hotel I stayed at for the next two nights, taken about 45 minutes after that first photo. This is a CN eastbound at Mile 72.8, CP Thompson Sub. The view is from the balcony of my room, named the Railroad Room, of course. I'd been following this train from a point on CP opposite Hope, about four hours earlier.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/24 03:03 by railsmith.

Date: 05/22/24 09:34
Author: feclark

Congratulations on getting in on the Basque Ranch road. Was that gated, and did you need permission, or was it open when you went? My last time in there was 20 years ago. It's a great place to shoot in the afternoon.
Fred

Date: 05/22/24 18:06

Fred - so the "first" ranch road from HWY 1 (Basque Road) - it was not gated - and only had some COVID-19 signage (still posted...lol)...but no "Private Property" or "Keep Out" signage - so I followed it all the way down to the river - waved at some of the ranchers - and the road ends at the bridge (and a rock quarry).  The other access to the north side of Black Canyon (Ashcroft Ranch) - those 2 roads were gated (not locked) - but I could not obtain permission to pass.    The other side of Black Canyon - that is the Davenport Ranch - and the ranch hands could not grant me access and the owners were off the property - both days....lol - so I settled for the bridge.    

feclark Wrote:
> Congratulations on getting in on the Basque Ranch
> road. Was that gated, and did you need permission,
> or was it open when you went? My last time in
> there was 20 years ago. It's a great place to
> shoot in the afternoon.
> Fred

Date: 05/22/24 19:31
Author: feclark

johnusnsd Wrote:
> Fred - so the "first" ranch road from HWY 1
> (Basque Road) - it was not gated - and only had
> some COVID-19 signage (still posted...lol)...but
> no "Private Property" or "Keep Out" signage - so I
> followed it all the way down to the river - waved
> at some of the ranchers - and the road ends at the
> bridge (and a rock quarry).  The other access to
> the north side of Black Canyon (Ashcroft Ranch) -
> those 2 roads were gated (not locked) - but I
> could not obtain permission to pass.    The
> other side of Black Canyon - that is the Davenport
> Ranch - and the ranch hands could not grant me
> access and the owners were off the property - both
> days....lol - so I settled for the bridge.    
>
> feclark Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Congratulations on getting in on the Basque
> Ranch
> > road. Was that gated, and did you need
> permission,
> > or was it open when you went? My last time in
> > there was 20 years ago. It's a great place to
> > shoot in the afternoon.
> > Fred

Thanks, John. It's been many years. I do know the first time we asked permission at a gate, but I didn't think we had to the second year we went in. I just couldn't remember.
Fred

Date: 05/23/24 03:33

feclark Wrote:
> Congratulations on getting in on the Basque Ranch
> road. Was that gated, and did you need permission,
> or was it open when you went? My last time in
> there was 20 years ago. It's a great place to
> shoot in the afternoon.

Back in 2015, there was a Canadian Northern "Last Spike" centennial event, held over two days and centred in Kamloops. One of the group day trips was a photo excursion to the west end of the bridge seen in photos 10-12 and quite a few after that.  According to one interpretation, the last spike was driven there just west of the bridge, although there's another theory that puts it in the Black Canyon.

The organizers obtained formal advance permission from the ranch owner so that the group could visit that location.

Date: 05/23/24 06:42
Author: CedarRapids

I was part of that Canadian Northern Last Spike celebration in 2015 and have many memories and photographs of an excellent weekend.  

Elizabeth

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1068 seconds