Home Open Account Help 301 users online

European Railroad Discussion > An American Railfan in Europe, Part V

Date: 09/25/05 07:26
An American Railfan in Europe, Part V
Author: GPutz

Here's a little congestion at Lund, Sweden, on 8/14/05. There's more as the journey continues at:

http://members.trainorders.com/gputz

Gerry

Date: 09/25/05 09:20
Re: An American Railfan in Europe, Part V
Author: bn2189

Gerry,

I'm envious, as always.

Some of the real experts on here will correct me, but I think the Vossloh locomotive is from the LSG leasing pool.

See:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/list/germany.html

And look at the LSG entry.

Maltby Turn out.

Date: 09/25/05 14:49
Author: SOO6617

Maltby Turn is correct the Vossloh locomotive is a leaser, and Vossloh is also the manufacturer. Their factory is in Kiel. The G1700 is the European equivilent to the GP20D built over here. 1700 is the basic power rating in Kilowatts. Exact power rating depends upon the engine choice made by the customer. This is the most powerful trip/shunting locomotive currently made by Vossloh with this bodystyle. The Swiss are big customers for the model with about 100 purchased as class Am 843. Great choice on going to Hamburg-Harburg that is where most of the locals go. The SBB train at Harburg is the every weekday Intermodal for Hupac from Desio near Milan to Hamburg-Billwerder Ubf. on the north bank of the Elbe east of the city. Doubleheaded 145s are popular power for coal trains. All the light engine moves at Harburg happen because Maschen Rbf.
The worlds busiest humpyard and main engine servicing facility is about 10 km. to the southeast of your location, while the main port facilities are to the north and west of you. The Germans and Danes are studying building either a bridge or a tunnel between Puttgarten and Rodby. When you took your trip to Hamburg from Frankfurt did you go north via the Main-Weser-Bahn through Kassel or via the Neubaustrecke and Köln? Fantastic photos as always Gerry. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/25/05 16:14
Author: GPutz

SOO6617, thanks, as usual, for the information. Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds