Home Open Account Help 352 users online

European Railroad Discussion > RhB The Albula Line Part 2

Date: 08/07/09 08:11
RhB The Albula Line Part 2
Author: odub

Heading down the trail from Preda, we made it to the road undercrossing before the first eastbound train came past. The stonework depicted here was common all along the line. Locomotive is the same Ge 4/4 III with the Coop paint I posted a couple days ago.

Image 2 followed shortly. The trains meet at Preda so I basically turned around and waited a couple of minutes. You may have noticed that virtually all the pictures I've posted of the last three days have been under overcast. We were in Switzerland at the same time that very heavy rain was causing flooding in Poland and Germany.

The trail on the right is the trail we're hiking. The RhB encourages people to walk this trail. To check out it's structures and see its trains run. No exclusion fences, drivers waving at photographers. People hanging out windows. No hassles taking pictures. I'm sure you get my point. We loved it!!

Image 3 is a Rail Rider train - an open air train that originates in Davos and runs Filisur to Preda twice each Sunday in the summer season. It's just popped out of a short tunnel and is crossing the upper viaduct. The cars in the train are called Aussichtswagen.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/09 10:44 by odub.

Date: 08/07/09 08:17
Re: RhB The Albula Line Part 1

Not far behind the Rail Rider was the regular scheduled train pulled by a Ge 6/6 II. As soon as it crosses the viaduct (Image 1), it goes through a series of curves and enters the Zuondra Tunnel, the last spiral tunnel before the top. Ultimately, it crosses over itself (Image 3) as it heads into Preda.

Date: 08/07/09 08:24

The trail brings you directly under viaducts 2, 3, and 4. Image 1 shows an eastbound train crossing viaduct 2.

Image 2 is a westbound train crossing what I believe is called the Fuegna revetment wall (I may be wrong about this).

Image 3 is, again I believe, the Chaneletta Gallery, constructed to carry a rock glacier over the tracks.

Date: 08/07/09 08:38

Image 1 Another eastbound heading across the 2nd viaduct.

Image 2 is the Ge 6.6 I Krocadil preserved in Bergun near what is one day hoping to be a railroad museum.

Image 3 is the view from the red UNESCO tower in Bergun. The museum building is on the right. Earlier in the day, the log deck was being actively worked. There are a fair number of logs moving on the RhB. Interestingly enough, there were a couple of locations where it appeared that the railroad or a local land owner had cleared trees to maintain the view from the train. Hmmm. Interesting concept.

Tomorrow Samedan then to Bernina Pass.

Date: 08/21/09 14:56
Author: 86235

Many thanks for these pictures Don, I'm off to Switzerland for a long weekend at the end of September and intend to walk the trail from Preda back to Bergun. Your pictures have been a great help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/09 14:58 by 86235.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds