Home Open Account Help 306 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Finland&Russia: More Pendolinos ordered?

Date: 06/04/11 06:37
Finland&Russia: More Pendolinos ordered?
Author: McKey

There is a strong but unconfirmed rumor, that there will be at least one, possibly more new Pendolinos for Karelian trains. Karelian Trains is a VR(Fin)-RzD(Rus) subsidiary, that owns Allegro branded Pendolinos run by it's mother companies. The service has been a huge success despite the need for Visa to visit Russia/European Union and the initial problems with train control systems on the Finnish side. On the Russian side everything has worked fine.

1) Proud owners Vladimir Yakunin of RzD on the right and Ali Huttunen of VR on the left posing for media.

2) An Allegro Pendolino number 2 at Kerava Junction, north of Helsinki, Finland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/11 07:04 by McKey.

Date: 06/04/11 14:47
Re: Finland&Russia: More Pendolinos ordered?
Author: lynnpowell

What is the line on the elevated structure in Photo #2? Is it going to replace the ground-level line on which the train is running?

Date: 06/04/11 23:42

The line is a flyover (is this the correct English word?) to separate the the southbound tracks of the main south-north line (Helsinki - Tampere) and the new Helsinki - Lahti high speed track. Without it this would disrupt the traffic with so many train using kerava Junction daily.

I added a great picture by Gerry showing the area under construction. Might drive down there to catch a panorama from the nearby hill too, or Stas, since you are living in Kerava, could you do this for the TOC members?

Pics 2-3) A pendolino on the main track under the flyover and another unit just west of the place where the Allegro is seen. In the distance there is another IC2 (double decked for the number 2) train starting it's nearly high speed journey.

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the line on the elevated structure in
> Photo #2? Is it going to replace the ground-level
> line on which the train is running?

Date: 06/05/11 04:21
Author: QU25C

Fly over is right

Date: 06/05/11 09:17

Thanks for commenting. I would call this just a bridge, but the American word for it is so much more descriptive.

Date: 06/06/11 13:26
Author: Stas

> Stas, since you are living in Kerava, could you do
> this for the TOC members?
Don't you have my photos from the same place already? I photographed there so many times and do not remember what I gave to you.

Date: 06/08/11 00:49

Nope...

Stas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Stas, since you are living in Kerava, could you
> do
> > this for the TOC members?
> Don't you have my photos from the same place
> already? I photographed there so many times and do
> not remember what I gave to you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds