Home Open Account Help 362 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Innotrans 2012 (14), Like Two Berries...and More

Date: 11/05/12 03:42
Innotrans 2012 (14), Like Two Berries...and More
Author: McKey

I hope I'm not just imagining things, but here it looks to me like the fore picture of this Windhoff industrial loco tractor used by the Berlin Transportation Authority can be found years before...in a typical German little steam locomotives. This might be an accidental, but two axles, room for "fuel" behind the cab, placement of the windows, the door frame, etc. might speak their language that someone has thought through this scheme. Or maybe its just an accidental design, possibly because placements were perfected even in the older days.

For comparison, two pictures, the one lower also from Innotrans 2012 fair. 10 - 15 people at the time squeezed into the cab of this little steam locomotive for a 5 - 10 minutes ride down the ramp, beyond the tunnel and back up. Needless to say (but I say it anyway), the line stretched around 100 meters / 330 feet!

Date: 11/05/12 03:44
Re: Innotrans 2012 (14), Like Two Berries...and More

And here are some more to enjoy for all Windhoff fans on forum!

Date: 11/05/12 03:49

Wheels under the truck. These are in the middle, not at the ends where you would normally attach them.

And two pictures of the maintenance tram of Windhoff. This tram is very popular among the narrow gauge tramways around Europe.

Date: 11/05/12 14:44
Author: cricketer8for9

John

Slightly off topic, but while I think the Finnish expression is literally translated as "Like two berries" the English version is actually "like two peas in a pod". Not sure what it says about our respective culinary traditions.

Keep up the good work.

Date: 11/05/12 23:18

Thanks for compliments and the correction! Suppose nobody knew about peas back in the old days here, and berries, they still grow everywhere and you can not really distinguish between say two blue berries out of a million. Finland seems to be the last country in Europe where you can actually pick berries from the ground without the fear of Echinococcosis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinococcosis . For now. 10 years from now the forecast is, you can not pick any more delicious blue berries. Another sign of the climate warming up. Sorry, this was even more off topic...

Date: 11/06/12 05:48
Author: cricketer8for9

I've eaten berries in Estonia, and very nice they were too!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0933 seconds