Home Open Account Help 278 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Netherlands "Stoomtram"

Date: 11/12/12 07:57
Netherlands "Stoomtram"
Author: andersonb109

I had a full day layover at Schipol airport last week. Fortunately, it was a Sunday, and the last operating day of the season for the "Stoomtram," a steam worked railway running from Hoorn to Medemblik. Hoorn is located just over an hour from Schipol's railway station. One can do a round trip, or complete the journey partially by boat and then back to Amsterdam. The loco is a 0-4-0 tank built in 1908. The ride was pleasant taking just over an hour each way in gloomy weather. Anyone arriving in the morning and departing on a late afternoon flight would have plenty of time to do this line. This trip added brings my total number of steam locomotives ridden behind to 275 in 20 countries.

Date: 11/12/12 12:50
Re: Netherlands "Stoomtram"
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a lovely little engine.

Thanks for sharing the picture and the layover suggestion

Date: 11/12/12 13:07
Re: Netherlands "Stoomtram"
Author: Focalplane

I wish I could add up the number of times I traveled behind a steam locomotive! Most of the time when I was young I took them all for granted!

But that is a lovely little tank engine with bags of character. The last time I had a day in Schiphol the client expected me to work all day in the business lounge!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds