Home Open Account Help 290 users online

European Railroad Discussion > The Standedge Route in 1999

Date: 11/18/12 14:20
The Standedge Route in 1999
Author: 86235

One of the main routes across the Pennine Hills which run north to south across Northen England is through the Standedge Tunnel, 3 miles 60 yards, between Diggle on the western side and Marsden on the eastern side. The tunnel also marks the boundary between the counties of Lancashire and Yorkshire. The line, which connects the cities of Leeds and Manchester was that of the London & North Western Railway. Today it remains busy with passenger traffic and a small amount of freight, mainly carrying domestic waste (trash) from the city of Manchester to a giant landfill site at Roxby in North Lincolnshire, about 100 miles to the east. Today the binliners (as they are known) are operated by Freightliner but back in 1999 EWS had the contract. These pictures were taken on two separate occasions, at the end of April and mid June respectively.

The first picture is of 56110 in 'shadow-franchise' Loadhaul livery descending from Standedge on the 6M05 empty binliner from Roxby to Northenden waste transfer station (WTS).

The second is of 60049, climbing towards Diggle on the 6E06, from Bredbury WTS to Roxby.

Not sure how long these trains will continue as new rules will soon forbid the use of landfill for domestic waste, local authorities being required to recycle much larger proportions of the waste they collect than was the case in 1999.

The remainder of the pictures are here: http://smu.gs/QRpAFY (so far I'm up to early July)

Date: 11/21/12 09:11
Re: The Standedge Route in 1999
Author: 55002

A couple of nice shots from the north, Nick. These trains are now looking very smart with freshly painted blue containers. I understand test firing of the incinerator at Runcorn is imminent, thus their demise is not too far away.

Date: 11/22/12 00:17
Re: The Standedge Route in 1999
Author: 86235

Thanks, I haven't seen them since Freightliner won the contract, unfortunately I don't have ny family ties in Yorkshire anymore so my visits are rather more sporadic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1238 seconds