Home Open Account Help 344 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Christmas Excursion in the Saarland

Date: 12/09/12 01:43
Christmas Excursion in the Saarland
Author: crusader5619

Luxembourg State Railways 2-10-2 "Kriegslok" on Luxemborg-Saarbrucken excursion yesterday (Sat 12/8) in Saarbrucken. The engine dates from 1948. Train also carried a CFL dining car. All in all a classy way to go to a Christmas Market.

Date: 12/09/12 03:08
Re: Christmas Excursion in the Saarland
Author: McKey

Interesting pictures, thank you! Any idea of the classification of the "war locomotive"?

Date: 12/09/12 03:16

Kriegslok was a designation of standard designs from the WW II era Reichsbahn. They were built by many manufacturers across Europe and the basic designs lasted well into the 50's.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/09/12 03:25
Author: McKey

I've seen various classes for Kriegsloks, any idea what the German classification for this would be?

Anyway, very interesting to see that the era of steam lasted well after the war in Europe as there were newbuilds even in Luxembourg.

Date: 12/09/12 03:32

The CFL train did a short turn excursion to Neunkirchen on Saturday. Here it's returning to Saarbrucken.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/09/12 05:00
Author: Steinzeit

The DRB class was 42; the headlight placement gives it away. If this is an original CFL loco [ the preserved 5519 ], it was built by Floridsdorf.

SZ

Date: 12/09/12 08:33

Steinzeit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The DRB class was 42; the headlight placement
> gives it away. If this is an original CFL loco [
> the preserved 5519 ], it was built by
> Floridsdorf.
>
> SZ
It is indeed 5519, "Prinz Guillame".

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/09/12 20:19
Author: airbrakegeezer

Pardon me for splitting hairs, but weren't all Kriegsloks 2-10-0s, not 2-10-2s? ISTR that all European 2-10-2s were tank locomotives until the HSE (Greek) "Mu Alpha" class tender locomotives appeared post-war (I think around 1950).

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Date: 12/09/12 22:20

Split away.....it was a 2-10-0

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/10/12 04:20
Author: Steinzeit

airbrakegeezer Wrote:
> Pardon me for splitting hairs, but weren't all
> Kriegsloks 2-10-0s, not 2-10-2s? ISTR that all
> European 2-10-2s were tank locomotives until the
> HSE (Greek) "Mu Alpha" class tender locomotives
> appeared post-war (I think around 1950).
>
> Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

1. The well known ones were the 2-10-0's [ I though the -2 was a typo the OP would catch ] but there were lots of different Kriegsloks, mostly industrial types [ large and small tank locos, even a 'fireless cooker' ], and that's just the steam types -- there were also electric locos, ranging from E94's down to small underground mining ones, for example.

2. You've momentarily forgotten about the prewar German 45 class, which would have been much larger than the 20 or 30 built* if not for the war, and assuming the boiler [ steel ] problems were overcome.

* I could be more precise in my answers, but we've had "company + Xmas entertaining", so bookcases in my [ oops, I mean "our" ] library are covered with red cloth and wussy decorations, and I've had to hide all my ready-reference books, too -- I can't find anything any more.... Even my slide projector table has poinsettias on it !

Best regards as usual, SZ [ aka "Mr Christmas" ]

Edited to add:
1. An internet search -- I used ' kriegslokomotive KDL KEL ' will provide a German site with the full list.
2. The RENFE's Santa Fe's, built during the war, predated the Greek ones. [ I also had to use the i'net to verify this since access to my RENFE books is blocked by -- what else -- a Christmas tree....]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/12 05:31 by Steinzeit.

Date: 12/10/12 17:21
Author: Ardenwood

Yes, it is 2-10-0. In the Ukraines in the 90's.

Date: 12/11/12 15:55
Author: spandfecerwin

Ardenwood Wrote:
> Yes, it is 2-10-0. In the Ukraines in the 90's.

But this is a class 52, this is the lighter one. The Luxemburg Kriegsloks are class 42, the heavier one.

Class 52 was more successful and was in use in many states for many years. The 42 mostly were retired soon.

Erwin from Austria

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds