Home Open Account Help 343 users online

European Railroad Discussion > A Yank in a Fog

Date: 12/08/12 09:53
A Yank in a Fog
Author: jcrun0mp7

I'm reading an excellent paperback book written by O.S.Nock about Southern Steam.He makes reference to coal in the tender being watered with scalding water at a station stop. I've also seen this in several you tube videos.
Why was this done?

Date: 12/08/12 10:09
Re: A Yank in a Fog
Author: 86235

Uusally to suppress the dust. I'm not sure where the Southern got their coal from, I don't think the small on-line coalfield in Kent produced decent steam coal so I guess it must have come from off-line coal fields. By the time it was transported to Southern depots I imagine that it would have become quite dusty after bumping along in unbraked, four wheel wagons in which most British coal travelled.

Date: 12/09/12 17:31
Author: Krokodil

Coal wetting was also done while running (at least in Germany). Wet coal makes for a les packed coal bed, as the water expansds when it hits the fire, this helps when you are confronted with low grade soft coal that has atendency to bake together up and restrict air flow.

ThomasE

Date: 12/09/12 23:26
Author: 86235

I also recall reading in an O S Nock book that the Southern employed coal shifters who would get on to the tender at stations like Salisbury and shovel the coal to the forward part of the tender, whilst the fireman was attending to watering the locomotive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds