Home Open Account Help 342 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Aftermath of all that rain

Date: 12/15/12 15:23
Aftermath of all that rain
Author: 86235

I posted a picture of the Ouse Washes last week which are well and truly flooded. Today I headed about 65 miles NW of London to King's Sutton, a pleasant village on the Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire border through which the former GW mainline from London to Birmingham runs, and which today is served by passenger trains of First Great Western and Chiltern. King's Sutton is on the River Cherwell, a tributary of the Thames and as you can see the river has burst its banks and is covering the water meadows on both sides of the line.

The train is the 11:09 London Marylebone to Stratford on Avon, formed of a class 168 DMU which is restarting after the King's Sutton stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 02:26 by 86235.

Date: 12/15/12 21:30
Re: Aftermath of all that rain
Author: McKey

What a picture, thank you for sharing this Nick! It certainly has cold ?British winter? feeling in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 21:30 by McKey.

Date: 12/15/12 23:48
Author: cricketer8for9

Weather much milder now, and in general terms wet = mild over here and cold = dry.

Date: 12/16/12 01:22

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It certainly has cold ?British winter? feeling in it.

The temperature here went from below freezing to double figures in the space of 36 hours; Thursday evening it was about -1C by the time I got home at 7:30 p.m. On Friday it was exceedingly wet and 5C and yesterday it peaked at 11C with some sunshine, although the wind made it feel colder. I hasten to add that the flooding at king's Sutton was not caused by Friday's rain, that just added to the general sogginess of the countryside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 02:27 by 86235.

Date: 12/16/12 07:08
Author: McKey

Definitely there would be flooding up here too if that kind of change happened.

For the moment there is a snow storm with high winds and -10c, very bad news for those wishing to commute by train tomorrow. Fortunately, for once I will be running prevarmed rubber wheels tomorrow. (bus) I also noticed a crowd of bikers today pushing through the snow, suppose as long as you don't slip riding a bike through the winter is ok.

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------
> The temperature here went from below freezing to
> double figures in the space of 36 hours;

Date: 12/17/12 14:10
Author: Focalplane

A great photo, whatever the weather! On Wednesday I'll be somewhere nearby, probably on the North Cotswold Line. Last year there was plenty of snow this time round. Or maybe that was the year before. Time flies.

Date: 12/17/12 14:54

Thanks, hope you have a good journey.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds