Home Open Account Help 302 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Czech Republic: Shooting Target on Tram Trailer?

Date: 02/02/13 07:35
Czech Republic: Shooting Target on Tram Trailer?
Author: McKey

What ever is hanging on the back of this Prague tram trailer looks to me like a shooting target for practicing in my country. But what is it?

I added for your enjoyment a couple of pictures of the front tram 2272 too. Some more can be found at the Czech main page at 4rail.net.

Date: 02/02/13 10:31
Re: Czech Republic: Shooting Target on Tram Trailer?
Author: africansteam

I believe the car is part of their Nostalgic Tram 91 fleet and I suspect that your "target" is just the national colors applied to a disc. See my Argentine post of 4/27/12.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,2752080,2752080#msg-2752080

P.S. While you were there did you get the T-shirt? ; > ) I stumbled across this by accident.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 02/02/13 11:22

Haa, another target for practicing ;) and a very interesting picture.

The pictures of tram are actually not mine, but Ilkka's of our railfanning + railpros group. I think he must have been too busy at work in Prague to find a tee shirt, but fortunately we have lots of interesting Prague tram pictures as a result. Some pictures have already been here to be seen, others are following some time later.

Btw. to me the tram part does not look real, it is almost brand new looking, albeit made to imitate the old style. Would you have any knowledge of this? I know they have old tams too.

Date: 02/02/13 12:18
Author: africansteam

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Btw. to me the tram part does not look real, it is
> almost brand new looking, albeit made to imitate
> the old style. Would you have any knowledge of
> this? I know they have old tams too.

You may very well be correct in you assessment, depending how one interprets the term "under construction" from the text on Praha on this site: http://tram.rusign.com/cz/histor-e.htm#praha

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 02/02/13 21:10

Interesting, and from the term you provided it looks like Prague has a tram line for vintage adn vintage looking equipment, run in the warmer half of the year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/13 21:11 by McKey.

Date: 02/03/13 04:52
Author: helvknight

It might just be a tail light.

Date: 02/03/13 06:58

This might shed some light to the shape an location. If it was originally using gas / oil for lighting, the hot fumes would had gone up from where it was located, no danger the light starting fire. And at least some lamp models I've seen and even used decades ago are quite large, about the size of the supposed tail light.

Any comments on maybe other similarly located tram of train tail lights?

helvknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It might just be a tail light.

Date: 02/03/13 08:16
Author: doesyourdogbite

Beautiful trams.

Date: 02/03/13 08:24
Author: Steinzeit

The 'target' on the trailer is where the route number [ or letter ] of the tram line would go; since it's a 'tourist tram', it doesn't have a number. Notice there's an illuminated box on the right front of the roof of the motor car that serves the same purpose; here they used a coat of arms or similar insignia. See accompanying photos for samples; I couldn't quickly find a photo of a trailer, but you get the idea with the motor car photo.

SZ

Edited to add: Looking in Lehnhart/Jeanmaire's "Tramway Systems of Eastern Europe II" reveals the following:
- some trailers did use an "O" in their indicator; it appears that may be when a second, strengthening trailer was added ? [ The photos are all b&w.]
- a red 'dot' was used for special workings in the indicators
- the motor car would appear to be one of a series built by Ringhoffer in 1930

Further edited to correct spelling of Lehnhart

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/13 17:23 by Steinzeit.

Date: 02/03/13 09:07

Thank you for the additional info! I think this finally answers the question.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds