Home Open Account Help 335 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Sweden: Good Bye to Green Cargo's Ma

Date: 02/05/13 03:04
Sweden: Good Bye to Green Cargo's Ma
Author: McKey

Green Cargo is in a process of making its systems run more efficiently, mainly by reorganizing and cutting costs. As a part of this program the last of the Co'Co' class Ma electrics were withdrawn earlier than planned. The original plan was to keep the TGOJ originating (green and blue) Mas in traffic for time being. The Green Cargos earlier reddish colored Mas were withdrawn already earlier as they were in a bad shape.

Many clas Ma units have however found new homes at railroad museums and some in startups and third league railroad companies. Hopefully organizations will run these locomotives in the coming years at least for the joy of lots of railfans in Sweden. Since Ma is quite heavy Co'Co' construction and well capable of sustaining the hardships of winter I was actually hoping these could have ended up to Malmbana. But I suppose the machines had aged too much to be economical to operate anymore. That is at least what the operator is saying.

To honor the last of this class here are some pictures of different subtypes and greenish color schemes. Pictures were taken during the last few years of Ma by Ilkka, Gerry and Nick. Thank you for them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/13 04:57 by McKey.

Date: 02/05/13 03:05
Re: Sweden: Good Bye to Green Cargo's Ma

And last, a parked Ma unit, waiting for tourists in a nice Nordic summer weather.

Date: 02/05/13 19:42
Author: Steinzeit

The Ma's always were [ are ] my fav Swedish electric.

Best, SZ

Date: 02/05/13 23:07

Mine too (one of them), thanks for the picture of a red specimen :)

Next time in Gävle you'll find one parked at Railroad museum, most likely next to a couple of D's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/13 06:07 by McKey.

Date: 02/06/13 06:00
Author: sventomas

We're going to miss them!

Tom

Date: 02/06/13 06:08

A _red_ TGOJ Ma! Is this the color they all were originally painted for the TGOJ too?

Date: 02/06/13 09:48
Author: sventomas

No John,

that's an original State Railway Ma (no in the 800-series). The main difference between a TGOJ and a SJ: the first had round side portholes, the second had square windows.
The TGOJ were painted in a cream upper part and a green lower part which, for safety reasons, were change to orange with white stripes in the 60ies.

Tom

Date: 02/07/13 00:06

Thank you Tom! I've always wondered about the logic of two different side window types, now it looks like mystery is finally solved.

sventomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that's an original State Railway Ma (no in the
> 800-series). The main difference between a TGOJ
> and a SJ: the first had round side portholes, the
> second had square windows.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0632 seconds