Home Open Account Help 316 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Sweden: Picturing Arlanda Express Z66...

Date: 04/16/13 23:27
Sweden: Picturing Arlanda Express Z66...
Author: McKey

The Swedish Stockholm airport Arlanda is served by Arlanda Express train company arrangement similar to Heathrow Express.

They have a depot 10 kilometers out of the airport and the trains zoom by it at full speed.

While coming back in the evening we had a competition with Hannu to catch a decent picture of the Arlanda Express Z66 switcher parked there for any emergencies and switching needs. I must admit my Nikon D5100 + Tamron test winner lens failed miserably with my picture taking capabilities (the resolution is only less than half of what you can see in the picture below rendering the texts unreadable). But what do you think about the picture below?

Conditions:
- X60 running ~160 km/h (99 mph)
- The powered bogie wobbling sideways heavily under us (strange that they still do this, this was the second bogie of X60, and also Flirt trains first unpowered bogies do this too when coupled in multiple).
- sun setting against the direction of the picture taking
- no way to zoom carefully to the object first because the location with picture taking opportunity is gone in one second
- the glass reflecting badly
- a lot less light left than would be desired

Camera: a Sony A77 with a Sony lens

I know my old Sony HX1 excels in almost total darkness taking pictures, but this device obviously pushes the limits to picture taking even further...

I edited the picture with Corel Photo Paint X6, but did not smooth it to leave the details there.

What do you think about the results? Be honest!

Date: 04/16/13 23:28
Re: Sweden: Picturing Arlanda Express Z66...

1000 pixels wide version.

I can see a lot of reflections on the window at this res...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/13 23:30 by McKey.

Date: 04/16/13 23:54
Author: Focalplane

That is very good for the conditions! How clean was the outside of the window? After a long winter I notice some windows (particularly TGV lower deck Duplex in car 1 next to the locomotive) are almost opaque.

Date: 04/16/13 23:58

It was fortunately almost clean, at least one condition in favor of the picture taker.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.062 seconds