Home Open Account Help 220 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Schaffhausen, CH

Date: 03/07/14 05:39
Schaffhausen, CH
Author: mp208

Is there any freight traffic thru Schaffhausen? Are any trains diesel powered thru the station?

Date: 03/07/14 06:56
Re: Schaffhausen, CH
Author: SOO6617

mp208 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there any freight traffic thru Schaffhausen?
> Are any trains diesel powered thru the station?

Yes, to the first question. Likely that SBB Cargo would have local freight workings running from their yard which is east of the station to customers southwest of the Hauptbahnhof using Am843 locomotives, which look like a Alco RS3 on steroids, very angular. There is a good sized industrial area and an Intermodal facility just east of Singen in Germany, about 20km east of Schaffhausen. Freights are mostly powered by SBB electrics to Singen.

Date: 03/07/14 17:08
Author: camshawn

While I remember passing freight while traveling between Scheffhausen and both Basel ( on the German side of the Rine) and Zurich , my wife and I do not recall seeing any freight trains while we were in the station. At the station we were more concerned with getting on the correct buss to her Cousin's.
Cam

Date: 03/08/14 21:18
Author: SOO6617

I should point out that the amount of freight trains operating via Schaffhausen is probably only one-fifth that operating via Basel, the freights travel via Eglisau and the north bank of the Rhein as the bridge at Laufen, by the Rhein Falls, has weight restrictions. The loco-hauled passenger trains also use this route.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds