Home Open Account Help 376 users online

European Railroad Discussion > RhB announces Steam Specials for 125th Anniversary

Date: 04/19/14 21:22
RhB announces Steam Specials for 125th Anniversary
Author: SOO6617

The Rhätische Bahn has announced the Steam powered Specials for their 125th Anniversary celebration. One trip has sold out in less than a month, and the trip isn't until August. More information can be found on their website in English here;

http://www.rhb.ch/Steam-train-rides.2288.0.html?&L=4

Date: 04/20/14 03:31
Re: RhB announces Steam Specials for 125th Anniversary
Author: andersonb109

Note to Norfolk Southern. All their windows open and no diesel assist on some very steep gradients. Certainly hope no one is injured from the experience.

Date: 04/20/14 06:28
Author: Hartington

Hmmm. No diesel assist? Depends on how you read this from the website:

General information
Under certain meteorological conditions, the event organiser will permit itself to operate the steam trains (Ge 6/6I, Crocodile locomotive) using electricity. Between Küblis - Davos Platz, Thusis - Tiefencastel, Filisur - Davos Platz and Scuol-Tarasp - Ardez an electric engine will be attached for operational reasons.

I think the 2nd sentence probably applies to ALL trains. So electric assist?

Date: 04/20/14 11:43
Author: 86235

Back in 2009 the steam engine was piloted by an electric from Chur to Davos, the electric then preceded it to Filisur, to where the steam engine ran unaided.

Date: 04/20/14 18:14
Author: knotch8

andersonb109, I've thought the same thing as you.

That said, I won't criticize NS, since it continues to operate the trains. I'd rather have the trains operate with sealed windows and vestibule doors than not operate at all. And it's great PR for the railroad, and that's a good thing.

But, you're right, it's sad. Tbe sealed windows and closed doors take a lot of the fun out of riding the steam trains. Darned lawyers and liability. But, we can still take photos trackside.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0325 seconds