Home Open Account Help 342 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Sweden/Norway: Malmbana, New Kid on Block

Date: 06/13/14 02:29
Sweden/Norway: Malmbana, New Kid on Block
Author: McKey

Malmbana being heavily trafficked is also a line where new happenings regularly take place. Here is something I've been wishing to write about for a long time, but due to difficulties in starting the mining business for any newcomers, have so far been unable to do so earlier.

The new kid on block is called Northland Resources, 6 year old, and while the company is relatively new they already have a massive mining operation going on and being developed in Kaunisvaara in Swedish Lapland. This is located in Pajala (place for machine works in Finnish language) near arctic circle and next to Finnish border. The ore is first refined after being drilled, blasted, mined and going through various crushers. Then it is loaded to heavy road trucks for the first 130 kilometers to be transloaded to trains in Pitkäjärvi (next to Svappavaara). Then Green Cargo takes over with their Rm and Rc4 locomotives and runs the bathtub gondolas to Narvik Fagernes harbor, on the opposite side of the bay from LKAB.

I managed to spot one of the 2 loco and 28 gondola trains coming back from Narvik at Krokvik, just north of Kiruna. The train is here running leisurely around 50 km/h. 2 classic ASEA Rc type locos can provide enough power for this "short" refined ore train. There are currently two trains per direction a day, but the third one is being constructed as we write. Then there will be fourth for 2014 and after that the trains will be lengthened.

Enjoy the pictures from Krokvik! (direct translation from Swedish would be "Crooked Bay")

Date: 06/13/14 02:30
Re: Sweden/Norway: Malmbana, New Kid on Block

A couple more facing towards Kiruna.

Date: 06/13/14 19:07
Author: ironmtn

Nice coverage of the new kid. Much as I like the IORE's, these classic locomotives are neat to see as well. More interesting stuff from a fascinating corner of our world. Thanks!

MC
Columbia, Missouri USA

Date: 06/14/14 00:37
Author: 86235

I can feel a visit to Narvik coming on...

Date: 06/14/14 08:37

Go for it Nick! And ask me for details before you go so I you'll probably see more while there.

Look for flights to Harstad, as Narvik airport is tiny, flights expensive and the approach to runway can look from outside quite hair rising. Unfortunately the bridge in Narvik cutting 30 kilometers away from the trip to Harstad will not be finished before 2016. The distance now is 75 kilometers and due to poor roads in Norway takes over 1 hour of driving.

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can feel a visit to Narvik coming on...

This is what the construction work looked like one month ago. The allied war memorial from 1940 will be right next to it.

Date: 06/14/14 08:40

Thank you! There will be more and rare stuff coming online a little later. I'm trying to tell the stories in the right order, so next should be on the Kiruna Wagon new ore cars, which are quite extraordinary...

Even if you look carefully above you might notice something unusual features on them!

ironmtn Wrote:
> Nice coverage of the new kid. Much as I like the
> IORE's, these classic locomotives are neat to see
> as well. More interesting stuff from a fascinating
> corner of our world. Thanks!
>
> MC
> Columbia, Missouri USA

Date: 06/14/14 09:39

Anyone knowing birds, would this be a rough-legged buzzard?

Lots of these and bigger birds of prey around Malmbana this year. And, I'm still missing lemmings from my picture archives despite all efforts. I hope these birds can find those though.

Date: 06/15/14 03:11
Author: cricketer8for9

I believe so, partly on plumage and partly on range. The Common Buzzard tends not to get that far north

Date: 06/15/14 11:15

Thanks! And they say this bird can be recognized on the V-shape of wings when flying, this one definitely has wings in that position.

cricketer8for9 Wrote:
> I believe so, partly on plumage and partly on
> range. The Common Buzzard tends not to get that
> far north

Date: 06/15/14 11:49
Author: cricketer8for9

Both Common (Buteo buteo) and Rough Legged Buzzards (Buteo lagopus) soar on V shaped wings but level flight may not necessarily by on v shaped wings. Rough Legged do sometimes hover using deep wingbeats, Common tend to do it when facing a stiff breeze with less flapping.

Date: 06/15/14 19:25
Author: ironmtn

McKey Wrote:
> Even if you look carefully above you might notice
> something unusual features on them!

Indeed. If I am seeing things correctly, they appear to be articulated. Looking at the connection between the last two cars (wagons), the articulation truck (bogie) beneath the car coupling appears also to be single axle. However, I think that's probably just due to the angle of the image, and that the front wheelset is obscured. But perhaps not.

I was not able to clearly view the coupling spaces for other cars further ahead. But there do seem to be quite a number of axles, and more than four per car (if I am seeing things correctly).

The size of the cars would certainly seem to support the use of articulation, with a truck underneath the coupling or drawbar between the cars for better weight distribution. They are huge. And considering their iron loading, the loaded weight has to be great as well.

In any case, I'll look forward to the future posts, and a closer examination of these cars. Yet more more aspect of an extraordinary operation. Thanks again for sharing it with us.

MC
Columbia, Missouri USA

Date: 06/16/14 05:14
Author: 86235

McKey Wrote:
> Look for flights to Harstad, as Narvik airport is
> tiny, flights expensive and the approach to runway
> can look from outside quite hair rising.

We flew home from Harstad back in 2008, rode the bus from Narvik. Nice ride round the fiord as I recall.

Any idea what the conditions are like at the end of September (which would be my only opportunity this year)?

Date: 06/17/14 05:09

I'm sorry, they indeed look articulated and that migth be an idea worth trying out in special conditions, though might also make things more complicated. I'll post another message soon with details of these cars and some of their building process shown.

And yes, even these cars use drawbars instead of the usual couplings. Must be the custom up here on Malmbana.

ironmtn Wrote:
> McKey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Even if you look carefully above you might
> notice
> > something unusual features on them!
>
> Indeed. If I am seeing things correctly, they
> appear to be articulated. Looking at the
> connection between the last two cars (wagons), the
> articulation truck (bogie) beneath the car
> coupling appears also to be single axle. However,
> I think that's probably just due to the angle of
> the image, and that the front wheelset is
> obscured. But perhaps not.
>

Date: 06/17/14 05:12

End of September the light is diminishing rapidly meaning also lots of cloud cover. It is warm though.

But early September-late August you might (with some luck) all trees turning red and yellow overnight. Many people travel to North just to see this. Trains and yellow trees, any idea here?

86235 Wrote:
> McKey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Look for flights to Harstad, as Narvik airport
> is
> > tiny, flights expensive and the approach to
> runway
> > can look from outside quite hair rising.
>
> We flew home from Harstad back in 2008, rode the
> bus from Narvik. Nice ride round the fiord as I
> recall.
>
> Any idea what the conditions are like at the end
> of September (which would be my only opportunity
> this year)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/14 05:12 by McKey.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.086 seconds