Home Open Account Help 339 users online

European Railroad Discussion > LNER 60009 "Union of South Africa" at Ribblehead

Date: 07/26/14 13:04
LNER 60009 "Union of South Africa" at Ribblehead
Author: Milepost_130

Today (Saturday, July 26, 2014) LNER 60009 "Union of South Africa", 4-6-2 (LNER Doncaster 1853 / 1937), LNER class A4 (3 cylinders), powered Railway Touring Company's "Cumbrian Mountain Express" from Crewe to Carlisle and return. Just before noon, the train crossed Ribblehead Viaduct on the Settle - Carlisle Line.

RTC Cumbrian Mountain Express: http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/cumbrian-mountain-express-2

Date: 07/26/14 21:23
Re: LNER 60009 "Union of South Africa" at Ribblehead
Author: jcrun0mp7

Oh to be in Albion.

Date: 07/28/14 13:18
Author: march_hare

Fine looking photo of a fine looking engine. My son and I got to ride behind it a couple weeks ago, but only got to see it up close during the station stop in Carlisle. Shame they can't do photo runbys on those trips.

Date: 08/01/14 06:56
Author: andersonb109

I could never quite see the point of those RTC mainline trips. Sure you get to travel through beautiful countryside behind steam. But you hardly ever actually see the steam loco excepting at the beginning and end of the day. But judging from the make up of the crowd on board, they probably don't even care. Just happy steam is provided for those of us who want only to photograph....and unlike this country, without an obnoxious diesel tucked in behind. They use their own generators and must get insurance from someplace. So why can't we?

Date: 08/01/14 13:06
Author: 86235

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could never quite see the point of those RTC
> mainline trips. Sure you get to travel through
> beautiful countryside behind steam. But you hardly
> ever actually see the steam loco excepting at the
> beginning and end of the day. But judging from the
> make up of the crowd on board, they probably don't
> even care.

If steam operations relied solely on fan trips they would be as scarce as hens teeth. Most mainline steam operations run on a similar formula, from London or wherever either over a scenic route like the S&C or to somewhere like Bath or the seaside and aimed at those with time and money. Throw in some decent food and wine and a reasonably punctual schedule and you have a train load of happy customers. I've only done it twice, back in 1981 (to avoid the Royal Wedding) and in December 2010 for an evening perambulation around Kent in the snow behind 60163 Tornado.

Date: 08/01/14 14:06
Author: cricketer8for9

I do like the idea of going on steam excursion to avoid the Royal Wedding. I did watch the 1981 one (was too young to know better) but have avoided all the others. The Morning Star apaprently reported Princess Anne's as "traffic was delayed in Westminster by the marriage of Mark Phillips and Anne Windsor". I haven't got proof of this, but it sounds good.

Date: 08/02/14 02:17
Author: tq-07fan

Good thing no Royal Wedding going on right now. Many mainline steam excursions are being cancelled, ran with diesels or altered in some other way due to the extremely dry weather this Summer. I had to break the sad news to two gentlemen waiting to see the cancelled Scarborough Flyer yesterday on the platform at Reddish South. I feel bad for anyone who planned a whole trip from far away just to see or ride behind a particular steam locomotive or specific line.

Check out the schedule alterations for this and next week.
http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs14.htm#vntl

Almost forgot, I like the picture. I should be there tomorrow if everything goes right.

Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/14 02:20 by tq-07fan.

Date: 08/02/14 06:40
Author: spflow

What a great picture - and I think it is it wonderful that these trips are still going on over 40 years after steam was allowed back on the main line in the UK. I heartily agree that a steam trip is the perfect way to avoid a royal wedding, but as quite regular partaker I would claim that they offer much more than that. I think the whole ambiance and experience is quite remarkable - the rolling stock, the sounds, the smell, and the performance, to say nothing of the capacity to produce a broad grin on the faces of any bystanders. I should also add the conversations to be heard are somewhat distinctive.

Over the years many things slowly disappear, such as semaphore signals, signal boxes and jointed track - long may the steam special continue! Unfortunately they do need to be supported, and can be expensive. On the other hand I always reckon a dog's bollocks picnic is much better than a rather indifferent if pretentious meal, and can be accompanied by your own choice of tipple. Our travelling cocktail cabinet has seen many thousands of miles of railway.

By way of illustrations, three pics from the high speed run behind the A4 "Bittern" from York to London last December

Pic 1 the loco moving off from the National Railway Museum

Pic 2 impossible conditions to get a good shot on the platform

Pic 3 evidence of high speed (in mph!) on the Selby diversion

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0689 seconds