Home Open Account Help 327 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Italy: Excursion (including Steam) Schedule

Date: 08/02/14 06:39
Italy: Excursion (including Steam) Schedule
Author: Milepost_130

Date: 08/02/14 06:54
Re: Italy: Excursion (including Steam) Schedule
Author: spflow

I have taken dozens of these trips in Toscana since 1977, and would very highly recommend the experience.

The best thing is probably that they are events for the whole family - I suspect that trainspotters do not really exist in Italy (at least in the fully fledged obsessional form we see in the UK). There is always a good four hour break for lunch, often after 75% of the journey has been made, and an atmosphere of wonderful laid back friendliness. Like all these things these trips need supporting.

To take one the rides from Siena contact my friend Janet at the Siena travel agency Visione del Mondo <info@visionedelmondo.com>. She is English, and will explain everything.

Date: 08/03/14 04:03
Author: andersonb109

For some reason, there don't seem to be nearly the number of railfans, greicers, or train spotters in Italy as there are in Germany and the U.K. I've only met a few Italians participating in the many photo charters I've done. Same goes for France and Spain. Perhaps because most of the organizers are English or German.

Date: 08/09/14 05:29
Author: colehour

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For some reason, there don't seem to be nearly the
> number of railfans, greicers, or train spotters in
> Italy as there are in Germany and the U.K. I've
> only met a few Italians participating in the many
> photo charters I've done. Same goes for France and
> Spain. Perhaps because most of the organizers are
> English or German.

I noticed the same thing when I lived in Italy. Railfanning is just not part of the popular culture there. When I would mention my interest in trains to Italians, I got the impression that they were puzzled by such an odd hobby.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds