Home Open Account Help 296 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Photography at major German stations -- questions

Date: 08/28/14 04:49
Photography at major German stations -- questions
Author: railsmith

I'll be visiting some major German cities in the next month and hope to do some photography from the platforms of the main stations. In eight visits to Britain since 2002, I've had various hassles from station staff, including being warned over the public address system. Since I always travel on a BritRail pass, I've always had the right to be on a platform, even if I was not intending to travel on that occasion.

What should I expect in Germany? And is it permissible to be on the platforms without a ticket? I'm planning to visit Berlin, Hamburg and Lubeck.

Thanks in advance.

Date: 08/28/14 05:28
Re: Photography at major German stations -- questions
Author: GPutz

I've photographed at several Berlin, Hamburg and Frankfurt am Main stations as well as many smaller stations, and never had a problem. Gerry

Date: 08/28/14 08:21
Author: E111

Did so since 1980 and never encountered a problem. Only the use of a tripod is prohibited.

E111

Date: 08/28/14 08:47
Author: crusader5619

Non issue. I visit FRA HBF and nothing is said or done to stop " 'fanning "

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/28/14 18:43
Author: Ptolemy

It's only in the US they get really weird about photographing, and perhaps some third-world dictatorships.

Date: 08/28/14 20:14
Author: PHall

Ptolemy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's only in the US they get really weird about
> photographing, and perhaps some third-world
> dictatorships.

Read the first post, he said he was hassled in the UK.

Date: 08/29/14 01:21
Author: spflow

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ptolemy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's only in the US they get really weird about
> > photographing, and perhaps some third-world
> > dictatorships.
>
> Read the first post, he said he was hassled in the
> UK.

Yes but it is hardly a big issue here - look at the huge volume of pictures taken! You can go to any major station and will see people watching and photographing trains every day of the year. I suspect some of the problems in the past have come from the uncertainty following privatisation. Now that Network Rail has been re-nationalised, I am looking forward to a slightly more intelligent regime.

Date: 08/29/14 10:56
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Had no problems shooting trams, S-Bahn (suburban) or intercity trains in Frankfurt, Nuremburg or Munich when I was there in 2006. In fact, I was in Munich the same weekend as Pope Benedict's visit, the station was crawling with security forces and not one said a thing to me about photography.

1. Frankfurt

2. Nuremburg

3. Munich

NZ

Date: 08/29/14 12:07
Author: DWDebs/2472

In the USA, locomotive engineers usually blow the horn loudly as their train passes through passenger stations. North American railfans are used to this audible warning, whether they realize it or not.

Horns are used much less frequently in Germany & Austria. I've been at stations in Germany, waiting for a local train, while fast through passenger and freight trains zoomed past the platform I was standing on, with no warning horn signals whatsoever. Also electric locomotives and DMUs are nearly silent compared to a diesel. Be careful!

- Doug Debs

Date: 09/03/14 22:11
Author: andersonb109

Never a problem anywhere in Europe....even Russia wasn't an issue except for video at one station.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds