Home Open Account Help 281 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Vienna (Austria) suggestions needed...

Date: 09/04/14 12:22
Vienna (Austria) suggestions needed...
Author: MirandaDepot

Could anyone offer suggestions for rail-related sights to see in Vienna? I have a city transit (Wiener Linien) pass, so any place in the city should be easy to reach (but, as a rookie, I could be wrong.) The #2 tram stops at the front of the hotel, and we are not far from the U3 subway.

I understand that there is a tram museum, and we passed a rail museum coming in from the airport on the CAT train.

As you can tell, my knowledge of Vienna is limited. Appreciate suggestions at any level.

Date: 09/04/14 13:29
Re: Vienna (Austria) suggestions needed...
Author: chs7-321

I was there twice in the past year (including last Monday).

Are you looking for just full-size stuff or models too? Passenger? Freight?

How long are you staying?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/14 14:13 by chs7-321.

Date: 09/04/14 22:46

Full size would be more interesting (to me) than model. We are here for 10 more days, but free time will be limited to a day or two and some evenings.

Suggestions as simple as rail related sights to see along subway lines would be helpful. The goal is orientation and familiarization, since my knowledge of the area is limited.

Date: 09/05/14 03:27
Author: birdman

Go to the Opera House. Across the street, along one of the sidewalks, is the terminus of the Badnerbahn - an interurban line that runs on city streets, through a subway, on city streets again after emerging from the tunnel, and then on private right of way to the town of Baden which is south of Vienna. Look for the blue and white cars of the Badnerbahn rather than the red cars of the Vienna streetcar system. You will find the depot (car barn) for the Badnerbahn at the first or second station after the Badnerbahn emerges from the tunnel. A few stops after the depot (car barn) you will come to the OBB Meidling station. The Meidling station is very busy and you will see just about every type of train, freight and passenger) that runs on the Austrian Federal Railways. Photography is not a problem on any of the many platforms at Meidling. The ride from here on to Baden is very pleasant. There is a busy OBB station within walking distance of the terminus in Baden where you can photograph freight and passenger trains.

The Westbahnhof in Wien is a stub end station and handles a lot of the passenger traffic to Gemany, Switzerland, western Austria, and other countries. You can walk out to the end of the platform for photos. You will see a variety of long distance trains here including German ICEs.

The tour of the opera house and a visit to Schoenbrunn Palace (spelling?) are not to be missed. Behind the opera house is the famous Sacher Hotel. Go in and ask to be seated in the coffee shop. Order a cup of the famous coffee served with real, rich whipped cream and a piece of Sacher Torte - a famous cake that was invented here featuring an apricot glaze and rich chocolate icing. It is an expensive snack but wonderful to experience at an iconic location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/14 03:29 by birdman.

Date: 09/05/14 08:42

Thanks. Those are exactly the type of suggestions I was looking for. Did the opera house tour today; have tickets for Tuesday night. (Life is more than railroads.). Made a couple of tram line 2 rides to and from the opera stop. Will keep eyes open.

Date: 09/05/14 10:12

If you have a day to spare, here is an outstanding way to spend it. Take a train from the Westbahnhof or Meidling Bahnhof to the town of St. Polten which is about an hour's train ride to the west of Wien. At St. Polten, transfer to the meter gauge Mariazellerbahn and ride to the end of the line at Mariazell. This is a wonderful two hour ride on a legendary line through incredible scenery. The new shops and depot are located about half way along the line at Laubenbachmuehle. From Laubenbachmuehle, the train climbs, twists, and turns through beautiful mountainous scenery with many tunnels and bridges and terminates at the lovely village of Mariazell. Walk about 1/2 mile into the village to see the beautiful church where the faithful have made pilgrimages for eons. There is a tram museum at Mariazell that operates on weekends. This is an excursion that will take all day and be a highlight of your rail fan experience in Austria. The Mariazellerbahn tracks are on the westernmost platform at St. Polten on the same level as the OBB trains. Make an early start in the morning as it will be a full day to do this excursion. The new meter gauge emu equipment on the Mariazellerbahn is painted gold and labeled Himmelstreppe (heaven's step).

I envy you. How I would love to be back in Wien right now and with tickets to the opera, which I love, you are living the dream.

Please consider doing the Mariazellerbahn day. You will absolutely love it.

Date: 09/05/14 10:44

I second the suggestions regarding Schonbrunn and Westbanhhof.

But here's an interesting plan (that I did last week):

Go out to Schonbrunn, spend time there. I didn't take any palace tours, but just walked around the grounds, including going up the hill to the "arch". After you're done, take the Route 58 tram back towards the city, and get off at "Kranzgasse". Walk back a street to Grenzgasse, and walk up it as it then makes a turn right and crosses over the Westbahnhof leads. To your right will be an awesome view of the station, and to your left will be the locomotive stabling yards. The bridge is of a good construction to allow unobstructed photography, and both sides have sidewalks so you can hang out.

If you want to reach this spot from Westbahnhof itself, it's a 10 min walk along the north side of the station on Felderstrasse.

I will post some pics from this area in the next few days.

I also recommend Bahnorama located in the vicinity of the new Haupbahnhof. Good overview of the station itself, and a nice panoramic view of Vienna.

If you want names of several good model shops (all in the general area of Westbhf), let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/14 10:44 by chs7-321.

Date: 09/05/14 10:48
Author: mundo

Is the new westbahn station finished?

Date: 09/05/14 10:52

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the new westbahn station finished?

???

The station being replaced is Sudbahnhof, which served the Sudbahn and the Ostbahn. The new station, Wien-Hauptbahnhof, is partially active, with some long-distance trains still serving Wien-Meidling instead.

Westbahnhof is still fully active, in all of its 1950-60s architectural glory. But it's not VERY busy, so it's rather nice for some relaxing railfanning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/14 10:52 by chs7-321.

Date: 09/05/14 13:02
Author: symph1

I highly recommend Cafe Theo. Great food, not too touristy. Sit outside with a view of the canal, have the Hungarian Goulash and a pilsner.

What are you seeing at the Opera? I assume you're going to the Staatsoper, not the Folksoper, right? My grandmother sang with the Folkoper.

Date: 09/05/14 13:34

We will attend Der Fliegende Hollander at Wiener Staatsoper on September 9. Mittelloge Reihe 1 Platz 3, 4 and 5. Are those good seats?

The trams stop in front of the opera house, including our favorite line 2. Plus, the subway has 3 lines stopping there. These are very frequent, barrier-free services. Line 2, for example, has service every ten minutes. Electronic signs giving time to tram arrival. Just push the button and jump on. This is way too easy.

Date: 09/05/14 18:26
Author: mundo

Then what was all the construction work and temporary access 3 years ago for at Westbanof?
Signs said rebuilding.

Date: 09/06/14 03:12

The Westbahnhof was refurbished and that project was completed recently. But, the really big project is the complete destruction of the two stub ended stations that comprised the old Sudbahnhof and the new construction on that site of a giant new Hauptbahnhof (main station) with through tracks, support facilities, office and apartment complexes, etc.

Date: 09/06/14 09:31

Tram line 1 car photo at the south end of the line. Line 1 also goes by Cafe Theo (discussed earlier). Public transit is remarkably easy to navigate. Just jump on and jump off. Couldn't be easier. The train station situation, which I do not pretend to understand, is in transition.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds