Home Open Account Help 328 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Running with IOREs 2014 - Free book to read, _TODAY_

Date: 09/12/14 03:10
Running with IOREs 2014 - Free book to read, _TODAY_
Author: McKey

Hi, many of you have probably noticed that I have travelled quite much around Malmbana and other Nordic railways. This has also led me wishing to share my experiences here on trainorders.com European forum and often at 4rail.net too. I also write books to Amazon Kindle. We all like different ways of enjoying reading and discussing so sharing ideas with several medias is important.

Running with IOREs 2014 Kindle Book version 1.3 is just out and I thought about giving it free as Kindle book to all trainorders.com members to read. I'm able to do this for _today_ and _tomorrow_ (Friday and Saturday, obviously East coast U.S. time). This book describes running with by far the most powerful locomotives in Europe over the mountains of Nordic, transporting iron ore and pellets from the mines around in the North. It has around 250 pages so I believe there are many subjects for you to enjoy, so take a look!

Here is a direct link to Kindle book: http://www.amazon.com/Running-IOREs-2014-Railroading-Malmbana-ebook/dp/B00J5NTHKC/

Kindle is a digital format that is easy to read in Kindle, desktop, laptop, tab and smart phone devices almost regardless of the operating system (Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Linux, all should be fine). You just need to get the Kindle reader from Amazon first, unless you already have it installed. The bigger the screen the better experience you should get as 200 pictures in book are quite large.

Hope you have enjoyable time reading and please give feedback through thread or private messaging of trainorders!

Br:John

Here is the book contents from Amazon's description page:

Welcome to the interesting journey on the Swedish and Norwegian Malmbana, heavy railway line like no other in Europe! This book is intended to familiarize you with the line while we go through the several adventures on different chapters of this book. We are not forgetting the lively mining communities, villages scattered here and there, nature and wilderness around the rail line either.

Version 1.3. now has over 250 pages on Malmbana and its rolling stock! Other book material also has much more info and many additional stories for you to enjoy. Unusual to Kindle books, this book has almost 200 quite large pictures to go along with the story.

Contents:
0. Welcome!
1. Malmbana, including a map of area
2. Running with IOREs, around 100 pages!
3. Technical Details of IORE Locomotives
4. Electric Locomotives Before IOREs
5. Rolling Stock on Malmbana
6. Organizations and Operators
7. Timeline of Malmbana
8. Closing Chapter

Date: 09/12/14 07:49
Re: Running with IOREs 2014 - Free book to read, _TODAY
Author: DaveL

John,
Many thanks for your very generous offer !
However I do not own a Kindle. I guess what you post here on TO will have to do for me.

DaveL

Date: 09/12/14 10:36
Author: E111

DaveL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John,
> Many thanks for your very generous offer !
> However I do not own a Kindle. I guess what you
> post here on TO will have to do for me.

Dave, no need to own a Kindle. There are reading apps for the PC / Mac / iPad / Android etc available from the Amazon website. All you need is an Amazon account and then you can select "Transfer via computer" from the purchase option.

E111

Date: 09/12/14 21:20
Author: DaveL

John,

Wow, that is great....Thanks a lot for the info!

Downloading the book now........

Dave

Date: 09/13/14 01:20

You are most Welcome!

And for others, like E111 says, there is no need to buy a Kindle device, I think that we already are cluttered with computers and almost every one of them can read Kindle books. I read mine on laptop.

Here is a direct link to Amazon Kindle program page in English: https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/kcp-landing-page?ie=UTF8&ref_=klp_mn

You can finds similar pages in German, Italian, French, ...

They also offer a free cloud reader, but my experience on those is that their ability to show pictures and text layout is "limited", for now. Amazon is doing continous "lean improvements", listening carefully its customers and authors so I'm sure thing will look different in future.

DaveL Wrote:
> John,
>
> Wow, that is great....Thanks a lot for the info!
>
> Downloading the book now........
>
> Dave

Date: 09/13/14 01:23

And, Dave, _any_ feedback is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

John

DaveL Wrote:
> John,
>
> Wow, that is great....Thanks a lot for the info!
>
> Downloading the book now........
>
> Dave

Date: 09/13/14 07:32
Author: thehighwayman

It took me less than a minute to download the Kindle program to my PC and then another minute or two for the book itself to download from Amazon. I already have an Amazon account so that might have helped.

I have only had time to skim through part of the book ... but am very much impressed!

I follow John's posts on Trainorders and look forward to new postings from him. This book looks like it will help give a lot of the "background" info on the area and the railway operation.

To John: my thanks for giving us this insight that many will only see through your wonderful photos and commentary.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 09/13/14 15:37
Author: ironmtn

Thank you, John, for sharing this work with us.

After download, I've already given it a quick skim front to back. As with all of your coverage of the Malmbana here on TO, the photos and information are enlightening and fascinating, particularly for those of us who discovered the previously unknown Malmbana and its rail operations with you here on TO. You have been a terrific guide, and I really look forward to reading your full "guidebook" in detail.

MC
Columbia, Missouri USA

Date: 09/14/14 05:16

Thank you Dave and Ironmnt! Obviously the three hundred hours of work I put to this book was for purpose :) . It was actually Gerry Putz (on Trainorders), Ilkka Siissalo and Nick (86235) who made me notice this rare railway line, my sincere thanks to them! Well, since I could travel there first time, it seems like there is so much to see coming back there year after year. So I'm hoping both to share much of this information packaged so that it is relatively easy to read and also so that I may easily add to this info something new. Trainorders.com, 4rail.net and Kindle have given this publishing and updating opportunity. They all have different profiles and somewhat different audiences, not all the members are yet here on TO. I see discussions as an important addition to subjects, something books are unfortunately lacking.

One thing you might be thinking is if this makes any economical sense. The answer is simple: it does not. Not on specialized subjects like this kind of railroading. But since railroading is fun, why not enjoy doing it?

I see that the book is actually going off Kindle promotion in a few hours, so thank you for taking your time with this subject! Hopefully I will be able to run another promotion sometime next year for trainorders members and the same book's again updated version.

Br:John

ironmtn Wrote:
> Thank you, John, for sharing this work with us.
>
> After download, I've already given it a quick skim
> front to back. As with all of your coverage of the
> Malmbana here on TO, the photos and information
> are enlightening and fascinating, particularly for
> those of us who discovered the previously unknown
> Malmbana and its rail operations with you here on
> TO. You have been a terrific guide, and I really
> look forward to reading your full "guidebook" in
> detail.
>
> MC
> Columbia, Missouri USA

Date: 09/14/14 19:59
Author: YukonYeti

An exceptional job in putting this together. I think I need to go find some IORE's

Gold stars across the board.

Tusen Takk!,,

Yukon Yeti

Date: 09/14/14 23:47

Great you likes this book! Go for a trip to see IOREs if you have a chance! I have a list of recommendations how to get started if you wish to plan ahead. IOREs are there and easy to find but there are certain hot spots and wilderness landscape of exceptional beauty too. Along with lots of animals.

YukonYeti Wrote:
> An exceptional job in putting this together. I
> think I need to go find some IORE's
>
> Gold stars across the board.
>
> Tusen Takk!,,
>
> Yukon Yeti

Date: 09/15/14 20:48
Author: SOO6617

Thanks John for the e-book, and thanks for offering Trainorders members a free chance to acquire it.

Date: 09/15/14 22:58

You are welcome SOO! I think we have a great community here for discussions, don't we?

SOO6617 Wrote:
> Thanks John for the e-book, and thanks for
> offering Trainorders members a free chance to
> acquire it.

Date: 09/15/14 23:32
Author: JGFuller

John,

Could not resist your book, given the earlier posts you've made.

What manner of signals are used on Malmbana? Looks like a Centralized Traffic Control system. Any info on the signals aspects and indications?

Than you for all your fine work. What a fascinating railroad.

Date: 09/16/14 00:27

Thanks JGFuller! And I go to signals in later editions, here on trainorders and 4rail.net as I have many things to find out about those. The problem is that Malmbana is being improved most every night with substantial increase in capacity in mind.

They do have a centralized traffic control for both Swedish and Norwegian sections. As where they are controlled I still have to find out. Block control, which would make sense automating some of the running can't be used because of dense traffic, lots of long sidings and all single track for time being. However Malmbana is due to double tracking on Swedish side so I imagine that this kind of signaling will be introduced then. Now it is up to operators to try to find the trains room to meet each other, so that none of the loaded IORE pulled ore trains westward take sidings, a task manageable but obviously difficult. Most of the trains leave in timetable and on the way get more and more late due to much traffic and lots of siding to wait at. On southern Malmbana (not discussed much in book) there is a much of all kinds of traffic but no severe capacity issues, I suppose the flat lands are helping there. The steel slab "monolite" trains are just as heavy as IORE pulled iron ore trains.

JGFuller Wrote:
> John,
>
> Could not resist your book, given the earlier
> posts you've made.
>
> What manner of signals are used on Malmbana? Looks
> like a Centralized Traffic Control system. Any
> info on the signals aspects and indications?
>
> Than you for all your fine work. What a
> fascinating railroad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0908 seconds