Home Open Account Help 351 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Pinch me...it is 2014 isn't it?

Date: 11/15/14 13:13
Pinch me...it is 2014 isn't it?
Author: 86235

I was elsewhere today but the regular Colas operated steel train to Boston Docks from Birmingham was piloted by newly restored 45 year old 50007 resplendent in BR blue. The train engine was another piece of vintage motive power, one of Colas class 56s, 56096.

It is quite extraordinary how our older indigenous motive power seems to be making a come back.

Date: 11/15/14 15:42
Re: Pinch me...it is 2014 isn't it?
Author: spflow

I agree it's surpising (and rather good fun), but remember how in the late 1950s 50 year old freight locos were commonplace. And what about the class 86 locos?

Date: 11/16/14 15:01

spflow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree it's surpising (and rather good fun), but
> remember how in the late 1950s 50 year old freight
> locos were commonplace. And what about the class
> 86 locos?

It isn't a question of their actual age, it's the fact that the 50s were withdrawn 20 years ago, so to see one on a scheduled freight service on the national network in 2014 is a bit Back to the Future-ish. I know it's not unique but if someone had predicted the same in 1994 they would probably have been sectioned.

Date: 11/16/14 16:27
Author: spflow

86235 Wrote:
> spflow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I agree it's surpising (and rather good fun),
> but
> > remember how in the late 1950s 50 year old
> freight
> > locos were commonplace. And what about the
> class
> > 86 locos?
>
> It isn't a question of their actual age, it's the
> fact that the 50s were withdrawn 20 years ago, so
> to see one on a scheduled freight service on the
> national network in 2014 is a bit Back to the
> Future-ish. I know it's not unique but if someone
> had predicted the same in 1994 they would probably
> have been sectioned.

Good point - it might even have been me doing the Section! I remember working at Friern Hospital in the early 1980s when a patient said they heard a steam engine. It took me quite a while to realise that Clan Line was appearing at a Bounds Green open day!

Date: 11/17/14 04:55
Author: McKey

Interesting move from the operator, where can they get spare parts when they need those? Despite the GE looking to own Vulcan today (based on what 70% correct wikipedia can offer), I doubt they are interested in providing parts for this.

So, Colas is the British HectorRail counterpart? ;) =turning old out of use usable locomotives into production machines again, profitably!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/14 04:57 by McKey.

Date: 11/17/14 09:18

Wikipedia is well out of date. GEC doesn't exist anymore, I think the engine business was sold to MAN who (I think) still market Ruston designed engines, the descendents of the EE 16CSVT in the 50.

As I said it's not the first time this has happened, Fastline resuscitated three class 56s and GBRf used a class 55 Deltic to overcome a power shortage a year or two back. Indeed GBRf has been using 47s recently on the 6E88 sand train, on the final leg to the glass factories.

Date: 11/17/14 09:29
Author: McKey

What an interesting variety of old diesels you have in use these days in U.K., judging from the pictures you have online Nick!

86235 Wrote:
> As I said it's not the first time this has
> happened, Fastline resuscitated three class 56s
> and GBRf used a class 55 Deltic to overcome a
> power shortage a year or two back. Indeed GBRf has
> been using 47s recently on the 6E88 sand train, on
> the final leg to the glass factories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds