Home Open Account Help 209 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Frankfurt Airport to/from Zurich

Date: 04/14/15 07:38
Frankfurt Airport to/from Zurich
Author: DocJohn

Expect to start a trip in the next few days that will put me at the Frankfurt Airport Station with a need to buy tickets and travel to Zurich for several days and then return to Frankfurt Airport.  Any problems that would make for a less than pleasant trip?  Is my Bahn card from last year of any value?

Thank you,

John

Date: 04/14/15 12:34
Re: Frankfurt Airport to/from Zurich
Author: andersonb109

I've done it several times. No issues at all. I believe you have to change in Basel depending on the schedule. No idea about the I-Bahn card though. 

Date: 04/15/15 06:58
Author: birdman

I have done it many times.  Hopped on an express train (usually an ICE) right at the airport station and gone to Basel.  On one occasion, I had to change cross platform at Mannheim.  Change at Basel for Zurich.  Had a railpass each time so can't comment about the Bahn Card.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/15 07:00 by birdman.

Date: 04/15/15 08:24
Author: helvknight

You shouldn't have a problem. There are regular ICE trains from Frankfurt Flughafen Bhf to Basel - you need to go to the Fernbahnhof not the Regionalbahnhof.

At Basel stay on to Basel SBB (don't get off at Badische Bahnhof) and change to a Zürich train. If you get an international ticket it should be routed either via Frick or via Olten. Olten is faster but a bit more expensive (a few francs - you will get excessed on the train but there will be no penalty apart from the fare) if it is routed Frick/Olten then you've no problem.

If your Bahncard is still valid (the expiry date is printed on it) then you can use it to the Swiss border. For the first and last journeys in Switzerland (the ones connected to the international ticket) you can get a 25% discount with Railplus which is included in the card. Once you've made that first and last journey you pay full fare unless you have a Halbtax.(Swiss equivalent of the Bahncard)

If you print your ticket online or use the DB mobile app you can use a valid Bahncard as ID. www.bahn.de will sell you the tickets and also give you connections if you're short of time or you can go to the travel centre. I'm not sure if you can buy international tickets at a ticket vending machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/15 08:26 by helvknight.

Date: 04/16/15 21:36
Author: norm1153

I don't think I'll get back to Germany or even Switzerland in my remaining lifetime, but it is wonderful to read these kinds of posts, and even dream a little.  My Europe time was between 1958 and 1964. 

A minor memory:  As I flew into Rhein-Main in late 1958 fresh from the States, and arrived at the train station, the expanse of steam loco power, well I just took it all for granted.  Looking back it seems so funny, as we in the USofA had just barely ended the steam era, and here I am being pulled by steam engines as a regular part of life.  It may seem silly to readers, but time sure puts different perspectives on things. I miss it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/15 21:37 by norm1153.

Date: 04/20/15 00:07

Actual experience at Frankfurt Airport.  Ticket machines would only accept new European PIN required credit cards.  Cash machines only dispensing 100 euro notes, no banks open, and ticlet machines would only take 50 euro note and small3er.  Had to stand in line at DB travel center to get tickets.  Lost an hour, but no other problems.

john

Date: 04/20/15 08:36
Author: spflow

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actual experience at Frankfurt Airport.  Ticket
> machines would only accept new European PIN
> required credit cards. 
> john
>
>  
Just a little point - PIN cards have been in use in Europe for over 20 years, so tehye are hardky new. In France the have reduced credit card fraud by over 80%. A good friend, until recenty CEO of a major international retail bank in the US, tells me that it is chauvinistic conservatism which has prevented the US banking system adopting the same approach until very recently. Most other parts of the world ( Middle East, China, India etc) use the PIN system. All I can say is: I hope you catch up soon!

Perhaps you might also start to use litres and kilogrammes!

Date: 04/20/15 10:33
Author: Normanroger

I flew into Rhein Main 1962.  Young army 2nd Lt.   Stationed in Frankfurt for 3 years.   Got married in Basel 1963.   Still married! 
51+ years.  Only train I took was Frankfurt to Paris 1965.  As a 1st Lt. I could afford it.

Date: 04/20/15 12:42

Thank you for your message.  I had chip credit cards, but apparently they were not up to EU standards.

On use of the metric system, please note that I have had a career in the chemical sciences covering over four decades, I have chaired the US TAG to ISO TC126 in the past, and the reason for this trip was a pleanary meeting of TC126.  In 1992, I had an industrial sabbatical in Germany in 1992, so I have had much experience with the metric system.

John

Date: 04/21/15 01:31
Author: spflow

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for your message.  I had chip credit
> cards, but apparently they were not up to EU
> standards.
>
> On use of the metric system, please note that I
> have had a career in the chemical sciences
> covering over four decades, I have chaired the US
> TAG to ISO TC126 in the past, and the reason for
> this trip was a pleanary meeting of TC126.  In
> 1992, I had an industrial sabbatical in Germany in
> 1992, so I have had much experience with the
> metric system.
>
> John
Thanks - I do appreciate your points, and I hope you take my comments as tongue in cheek. I cannot imagine Saturn V was built solely using imperial measures!

PS in the UK we also adhere to many old measures for sentimental reasons - where would we be without a pint of beer? I have to say Ireland is the most entertaining country where metrication of distances on road signs appears to be erratic so that one's destination can seem to get nearer and then further in an unpredictable manner!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/15 01:37 by spflow.

Date: 04/23/15 23:53

Best train-watching/riding on the trip was doing the trolleys in Zurich.  Actually got one of my chip-in-card devices to work to buy the ticket.  Had to rental car back to Frankfurt as DB is on strike.  Only train I saw was a light engine move near one of the Frankfurt Airport hotels.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0734 seconds