Home Open Account Help 299 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Berlin/Germany: 150 years of tramway/light rail

Date: 07/07/15 23:35
Berlin/Germany: 150 years of tramway/light rail
Author: Chris-from-Germany

In June the tramway system of Berlin held its 150 anniversary with a huge open house day and a tramway parade with 11 cars (oldest from 1902, latest from 2015). Well over 10.000 people came to enjoy it.

The tramway system in Berlin is the oldest in the world! Opened in 1865 as a horse tramway first electric lines opened already in 1882. The electric loco was invented in Berlin by Werner von Siemens only years before.

Today the Berlin system still has 120 miles of route. It is nowadays mostly focused on East Berlin as in West Berlin the last lines were closed in 1967. In West Berlin many believed and admired the US life style and the car was king in the 60s.
Meanwhile there are many plans to cut back the car traffic and to bring back the tramway also to West Berlin which is served again by 2 lines already.

Enjoy.

Christoph

Date: 07/08/15 00:06
Re: Berlin/Germany: 150 years of tramway/light rail
Author: McKey

Wonderful pictures and great backgrounder, thank you very much Christoph!

Is one of the new lines nearby Berlin Tegel airport on a boulevard? Last summer I was visiting Berlin briefly and was in a hurry back to airport with roller skating marathon having cut almost all connections between the outer city and inner city. I was saved by an ingenious taxi driver who managed to navigate through the road blocks...and saved my flight in last minute! This also gave a chance to see some surroundings that are normally not enroute.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/15 00:06 by McKey.

Date: 07/08/15 11:13
Author: Bob3985

Great photos of an awesome event. When I traveled to Germany I stay in Lichtenberg at the Hotel Nova across the street from the train station. What a wonderful visit I had to Germany in search of my family's roots. Perhaps I will scan some of the 26 rolls of 36 exposure slides I took from that trip. Bob Krüger

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/15 03:53 by Bob3985.

Date: 07/08/15 11:33
Author: Chris-from-Germany

Yes Bob, please do so!!

Juha: you are right: you saw the new light rail line in West Berlin which goes as far as Virchow Klinikum.

Christoph

Date: 07/08/15 18:24
Author: mundo

Hope you can post shots in Berlin.

Stationed at US Army hospital in 53-55

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds