Home Open Account Help 321 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Iarnród Éireann Rathmore, Co. Kerry and Dublin

Date: 07/27/15 20:16
Iarnród Éireann Rathmore, Co. Kerry and Dublin
Author: kevink

While on a trip to Ireland to visit the wife's relatives in Co. Limerick and Co. Kerry, I had the opportunity to see some Iarnród Éireann (Irish Rail) trains in late June/early July 2015

On June 30, 2015
We drove from Killarney to Dublin. Just west of Rathmore, Co.Kerry, we found a gated self-serve level crossing west of Rathmore, Co. Kerry. Motorists must stop, open the gates, cross the railway and then close the gates.

Next up is a stop at Rathmore, Co. Kerry where we were just in time for a meet between a Mallow-Tralee train and a Tralee-Mallow train .

Date: 07/27/15 20:16
Re: Iarnród Éireann Rathmore, Co. Kerry and Dublin

more to follow

Date: 07/27/15 20:19

The next day (7/1/2015), we rode a suburban DART train into Dublin. After seeing the area around Trinity College, the kids wanted to see the zoo at Phoenix Park. Instead of spending close to 90 Euros for a double-seckker tourist bus, we opted to ride the Luas Red Line tram over to Heuston Station and walk ten minutes to the zoo. The first image is of the westbound tram we arrived on and an eastbound tram in front of Heuston Station. The second image is a tram heading thorugh the sharp curve just north of the station. 

Of course, we had picked the hottest day of the summer to visit the zoo. After a couple of hours of walking around in the muggy 85-degree heat, a dinner of fish and chips with a pint at the Brazen Head was called for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/15 20:26 by kevink.

Date: 07/27/15 20:20

After dinner, we boarded the tram again for the trip over to Connolly Station. Unbeknownst to us, there was an AC/DC concert that evening and the trams were packed. We got to Connolly okay and had to wait about 20 minutes for a train heading back to Malahide. This gave me a chance to see a variety of Iarnród Éireann and DART trains were seen while waiting for our train back to Malahide.

First image is two train under the train shed. As I recall, the far train just came in from Belfast while the train in the foreground is about to board passengers for Belfast.

Second image is of a DART train heading south to Pearse Station

Third image is a southbound IE train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/15 20:36 by kevink.

Date: 07/27/15 20:41

Another southbound IE train pulls into the station.
A minute later, a northbound IE train stops.

Of note is that we only saw one locomotive hauled train on this trip (and I was not in a position to get photos). Every Iarnród Éireann train we saw was DMUs while the DART trains are all EMUs.

There are more images on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33710285@N08/sets/72157655993078391/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds