Home Open Account Help 368 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Semaphore swansong

Date: 10/23/15 04:26
Semaphore swansong
Author: 55002

There was a thread recently by Nick (86235) recently on the demise of the mechanical signalling at Wrawby and Barnetby.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,3858793

To compliment his exterior photos, here's some I took recently on a vsit to the area.
Barnetby East signal box, just to the east of the staion.
chris UK

Date: 10/23/15 04:31
Re: Semaphore swansong

The interior of Wrawby Junction signal box.
Initially the frame had 132 levers, with 5 more added (A-E).
Lots of 'white' levers - out of use, after a tranch of sidings were removed several years ago.
There will be a shut down over Christmas, whilst the new electric signalling is comissioned and transferred to the York signalling centre.
chris uk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/15 04:31 by 55002.

Date: 10/23/15 04:31
Author: 86235

Lovely,there's something really timeless about a mechanical signal box at night

Date: 10/23/15 04:33

A couple of outside views.
chris uk

Date: 10/23/15 04:43

Rather appropriate you posted them today, December 23rd is their last full day of operation.

Date: 10/23/15 05:32
Author: GPutz

Thank you for posting these very interesting images.  At the left of the second image there is what appears to be a brake wheel.  Do these signal boxes need one?  Gerry

Date: 10/23/15 07:41

I think they will be to tighten or slacken the signal wires

Date: 10/23/15 08:33
Author: spflow

Wonderful pictures of scenes that we always took for granted as being universal!

As to the wheel, I wonder if it coudl be part of the emergency release system? I'm no expert, but I remember from my Underground days that when the master "reset everything to danger" lever was used on an electro-mechanical frame, there was a handle which had to be turned many times to release the block. This was to give time for the signalman to rethink what had gone wrong, nad to prevent resettting too quickly.

Howverer, I also appreciate that cable tensioning is a vital function.

Date: 10/23/15 11:04
Author: Latebeans

As much as I like train pics I also like seeing railway photos dealing with other aspects of railway operation, especially those dealing with stuff that is vanishing.  Very nice photos.

Date: 10/25/15 16:06

spflow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm no expert, but I
> remember from my Underground days that when the
> master "reset everything to danger" lever was used
> on an electro-mechanical frame, there was a handle
> which had to be turned many times to release the
> block. This was to give time for the signalman to
> rethink what had gone wrong, nad to prevent
> resettting too quickly.

I think that's a feature of what is called Welwyn Control, additional track circuit interlocking introduced after the Welwyn Garden City  disaster in 1935 when a signalman, under pressure, cleared a block intrument he shouldn't have, sending one train into the back of another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/15 10:02 by 86235.

Date: 10/26/15 09:42
Author: CPRR

I hope that this will be preserved in some way for historical purposes

Date: 10/26/15 10:05

Wrawby Junction box will be preserved, not sure what will become of Barnetby East.

Date: 10/27/15 03:38
Author: dwatry

I'm planning to go on Wed Nov 11.  How did you get access to the signalboxes - was that prearranged or just informal spur of the moment invites?   I used to get invited up into towers all over the US (back when there were still towers), but that was in the pre-Homeland Security era.   I'm not sure how easy or difficult this is in the UK.

Date: 10/27/15 06:27

These visits were pre-arranged, with the help of a railfan signalman. Barnetby East box is easily photographed from the station. Wrawby box is unfortunately about a mile from the staion, and access prevented by a locked gate, through Network Rail property. However, it can be observed by lanes along the south of the tracks.
Check Nicks photos for more info
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,3858793
Chris uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/15 06:29 by 55002.

Date: 10/28/15 04:38

Thanks!   Hoping I can find that bridlepath...

Date: 10/28/15 14:06

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks!   Hoping I can find that bridlepath..
Quite easy, under the tracks from the station, past the convenience store and the chip shop then turn right, after the road curves left the bridle path is on the right.

For maps with marked footpaths use www.streetmap.co.uk. The towns full name is Barnetby-le-Wold

Date: 10/28/15 16:42

Thanks for the tip.  I was heading for the OS Map store.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds