Home Open Account Help 335 users online

European Railroad Discussion > U.K.: Class 88 Whereabouts?

Date: 11/15/15 04:48
U.K.: Class 88 Whereabouts?
Author: McKey

Any word out yet, when the Class 88 will be out for test drives? Or if it being even prepared yet at Stadler Rail for Beacon Rail Leasing plus DRS?

Pictures of quite similar looking DRS class 68. This is a pure diesel where 88 is a diesel-electric and electric version. Pictures by Nick in Kings Sutton and Ilkka somewhere in London. 

Date: 11/19/15 03:51
Re: U.K.: Class 88 Whereabouts?
Author: OARC

Very nice shoot photos,   Thanks for posting,   Mike in OHIO, USA

Date: 11/21/15 00:44

Yes, NIck and Ilkka both take excellent pictures!

ARC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice shoot photos,   Thanks for
> posting,   Mike in OHIO, USA

I asked manufacturer about the Clas 88, but unfortunately due to business arrangement between Stadler Rail and Vossloh Spain they have to be tightlipped for now. So if none of us can find any more info on class 88, we will have to wait for a few months. For that matter, locomotives are only now being built, so no outside in the air pictures yet anyway.

Date: 11/21/15 01:59
Author: exhaustED

The first class 88 electro-diesel (900hp 'last-mile' engine), no. 88001 is apparently due to be sent to the Velim test track in the Czech Republic in early 2016 for testing, according to information on a well-respected UK forum.
The diesel version (class 68, as mentioned above) has been well-accepted and appears to be a very solid mixed-traffic performer, especially for a B-B design. The caterpillar engine sounds great in these locos! P.S. The photos above in London are at Marylebone station, as a number of the 68's are being used on passenger services from the Midlands to London.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/15 02:05 by exhaustED.

Date: 11/22/15 03:45

Thank You very much! Sometimes it is indeed difficult to find the information. Hopefully we will see this new generation locomotives in Velim soon.

Maybe this kind of mixed power will ultimately prove successful. I think it is interesting that we have finally progressed to phase where the diesel engine along with all that goes with it is used as ballast when and when not in use. Ingenious! 

Date: 11/22/15 10:27

It sounds as though many of the operators in the UK are very interested to see how the 88 does. It could be a really key development in finally getting electric traction to take off in the UK, as many mainlines are electrified but the spurs/sidings into rail terminals are not.
I think the electro-diesel is finally able to be a viable solution as recent developments mean it's now physically possible to fit all the necessary equipment inside the bodyshell!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/15 10:30 by exhaustED.

Date: 11/22/15 11:02
Author: spflow

exhaustED Wrote:
> It sounds as though many of the operators in the
> UK are very interested to see how the 88 does. It
> could be a really key development in finally
> getting electric traction to take off in the UK,
> as many mainlines are electrified but the
> spurs/sidings into rail terminals are not.
>

While I agree that the electro-diesel is a very interesting development in respect of electric traction being used for freight, we must remember that freight is a very small proportion of total rail use in the UK, and so I doubt that this factor will tip the balance in terms of major route electrification, other than perhaps the proposed "electric spine" from Southampton to the Midlands.

However, we shall see - it can't be a bad idea!

Date: 11/22/15 11:22

spflow Wrote:
> exhaustED Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It sounds as though many of the operators in
> the
> > UK are very interested to see how the 88 does.
> It
> > could be a really key development in finally
> > getting electric traction to take off in the
> UK,
> > as many mainlines are electrified but the
> > spurs/sidings into rail terminals are not.
> >
>
> While I agree that the electro-diesel is a very
> interesting development in respect of electric
> traction being used for freight, we must remember
> that freight is a very small proportion of total
> rail use in the UK, and so I doubt that this
> factor will tip the balance in terms of major
> route electrification, other than perhaps the
> proposed "electric spine" from Southampton to the
> Midlands.
>
> However, we shall see - it can't be a bad idea!

You're absolutely right, freight plays second fiddle to passenger in the UK and so this electro-diesel development alone will not drive electrification policy. Historically, electrification has pretty much ignored freight operator's requirements!
However, there is now a definite desire to increase freight traffic on the rails, part of which is due to electric traction's enhanced green credentials. Also, the freight players are arguing hard for the current rather patchy and disjointed electrified network to 'work better' for freight. So planned schemes such as the great western main line, the electric spine and the east-west route can only enhance the possibilities for freight.
As i mentioned though, electrification of yards, short branch lines and sidings/spurs, will not generally happen unless the freight operators pay for it. Therefore, the electro-diesel option presents a technical solution whereby there is no longer a need for the expensive electrification of these facilities, so as operators make decisions about replacing/renewing their fleets they have the option to choose electric traction where previously diesel was the only option.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/15 11:31 by exhaustED.

Date: 11/22/15 23:38

...and, let's not forget the many needs of the Continental Europe. This class definitely qualifies with few modifications to countries like Poland (where many class 66 locos have either visited or have been relocated), Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland and Austria...to name a few.

Below one of the EMD JT42CWRMs in Papierna, Poland. Picture this summer by Ilkka.

Date: 12/13/15 16:14

Latest update (on a UK forum) suggests the 10 class 88's are due for delivery in March/April 2016.

Date: 12/13/15 23:23

That is good news! It will be interesting to see how the configuration positive possibilities are exploited.

I wonder also if the builders plate is from Vossloh or Stadler Rail? ;) 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds