Home Open Account Help 387 users online

European Railroad Discussion > The semaphores of North Lincolnshire - a last hurrah

Date: 12/21/15 12:02
The semaphores of North Lincolnshire - a last hurrah
Author: 86235

On December 23rd Network Rail and their contractors start the process of removing the semaphore signals and signal boxes across North Lincolnshire, with control transferring to the Regional Operations Centre at York. I took a day off work and caught the train to Barnetby (changing at Doncaster). The weather started off in fine form, albeit with a cold wind, but by late morning had deteriorated and heavy rain set in, forcing me to flee to the pub for a pint and some hot soup :-) Not too much of a hardship, venturing out for another hour before catching the 14:09 to Newark Northgate and a Virgin East Coast express back to London.

With Wrawby Junction box on the right a train of empty coal hoppers from Doncaster approaching Barnetby. They will be filled with imported coal at the terminal at the port of Immingham before heading to Rugeley Power Station in the West Midlands.

Rather more characterful are the two iron ore diagrams, both 60 hauled, which shuttle between Immingham and the Santon ore terminal within the Appleby-Frodingham steelworks at Scunthorpe.

I trekked out to Wrawby just as the rain started, here's 60024 returning with loaded iron ore, crossing Wrawby Junction, taking the Scunthorpe Line. the raan was driven on by the gale force south westerly wind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/15 02:02 by 86235.

Date: 12/21/15 12:10
Re: The semaphores of North Lincolnshire - a last hurrah
Author: 86235

And a couple of the signals. The Barnetby East down main starter, with the backet up home signals controlling the routes through the station and the Barnetby East up main starter, with the Wrawby Junction distant signal below. The distant will be slotted so that it can only by pulled off by the Wrawby Junction signaller if their equivalent in Barnetby East has pulled off the starter. I also think that it is slotted in such a way that it requires the Wrawby Junction home signal routing on what was the mainline to Sheffield to be pulled off, which is the route which is not speed restricted. It clearly is capable of being pulled off, it's not a 'fixed. distant, but having said that I've never seen it in the off position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/15 02:03 by 86235.

Date: 01/02/16 00:40
Re: The semaphores of North Lincolnshire - a last hurrah
Author: Seventyfive

Excellent set of photos and information about some fascinating railroading.  I hope to get over there some day to enjoy a lot of it.  Thanks for the great post!

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds