Home Open Account Help 289 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Great Britain 2015... part Six..the big storm

Date: 12/29/15 16:55
Great Britain 2015... part Six..the big storm
Author: bakersfielddave

It was just on 136 years ago the first Tay river bridge was partially blown down during a huge storm across south eastern Scotland, taking a train down into the river  with it  some 75 people lost at Dundee

here  at North Queensferry station  . the Forth Bridge near Edinburgh,in the late afternoon,  the winds were recorded at gusting to  at times of   90 MPH plus

i would not have liked to have been crossing the Tay this night by train ,  even though the new bridge was substantially rebuilt in 1887

my new umbrella lasted about 5 minutes before it was torn away by the elements  but the storm made for some iinteresting video

the spray from the  Firth of Forth, illuminated in the floodlighting was interesting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/15 17:05 by bakersfielddave.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/29/15 19:50
Re: Great Britain 2015... part Six..the big storm
Author: Linndale

Thanks for the great video.....somebody recently told me (from the U.K.) the Forth Bridge was closed down
being rebuilt?

AL
Winter Springs, Fla

Date: 12/29/15 22:21
Author: SOO6617

Linndale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the great video.....somebody recently
> told me (from the U.K.) the Forth Bridge was
> closed down
> being rebuilt?
>
> AL

The Forth Highway Bridge is closed for rebuilding.

Date: 12/29/15 23:56

one picture i took

Date: 12/30/15 05:58
Author: goneon66

outstanding video.  i really enjoyed it.........

Date: 12/30/15 06:45
Author: Hartington

The Forth Highway Bridge is NOT closed for rebuilding.   A new highway bridge is being built.   Just before Christmas the existing highway bridge was discovered to have some cracks which were deemed structurally critical.   The existing bridge was then closed.   It has since reopened, but only to light vehicles (cars, vans and the like).

Date: 12/30/15 08:55
Author: gaspeamtrak

Awesome video ! Thanks for filming it in that awful weather and thanks for sharing !!! :)

Date: 12/30/15 15:01

got soaked and the cafe was closed so was stranded there untiil a stopping  train back to Haymarket appeared but was an experience     a lot different from standing at Mojave on a miid summer day

Date: 12/31/15 04:42
Author: 55002

Well, if you are going to experience North Queensferry, either a summers day, or in the teeth of a storm!. I've not done the later - yet!
Full marks on your bravery. It's a lovely place for a walk around - here's the place in calmer weather. Chris uk.

Date: 01/01/16 10:45
Author: ChrisCampi

It must have been amazing to feel the power of this storm in person. Cold wet miserable for sure, but what energy! Thanks for sharing.

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds