Home Open Account Help 321 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Switzerland to Milan, Italy, and back

Date: 04/17/16 11:30
Switzerland to Milan, Italy, and back
Author: DocJohn

I have some European travel coming up soon.  After meetings in Lauanne, planning on going to Milan for a couple of days and then returning to Zurich.  From SBB timetables, looks like route from Lausanne to Milan is different than the one from Milan to Zurich with the latter route going through Gotthard tunnel.  Any pitfalls on these trips?  Anything of interest railroad-wize in Milan.  Will be traveling first class at request of my traveling companion.

Thank you,

John

Date: 04/17/16 12:48
Re: Switzerland to Milan, Italy, and back
Author: ValvePilot

There are two scenic routes between Zurich and Milan. One, the longer, is to drop down to Lausanne and go along
beautiful Lake Geneva thru Brig. The other is Zurich to Milan via the Gotthard route.
Be careful in the Milan Main Station.  If you decide to wait in the first class waiting room, be sure you have everything
in close eye contact as well as secure everything to your person or lap. Do not fall asleep! Stay away from Gypsy
Children!

Date: 04/17/16 14:18
Author: wmshawk

If you have the time, or can make time, I recommend the narrow gauge route from Domodosola, IT to Locarno, CH and then on from Locarno to Bellinzona and on down to Milan.

It is a memorable trip and is worth an entire day while in Milan allowing some time for exploring in Locarno.

The trip can be done either direction depending on your plans, returning to Milan.

Search for:Centovalli Railway Locarno-Domodossola for more details.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzg4s5lICff-TemiKbVD_QSM8tF9z7V5GuSFiUnq2ZkGvUk6BC

Cheers,
Bill

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/16 14:30 by wmshawk.

Date: 04/17/16 15:15
Author: wpamtk

I highly recommend checking out the Milan Tram system; it's enormous, with a large variety of equipment. There's still about 200 of the 1930s-vintage Peter Witt-type cars (a US design), although they don't run on every line. One good spot to see them is the Piazza between the Galleria and La Scala Opera House, although there are many others.
The Milan station has an enormous trainshed and lots going on. I've heard the place is rife with pickpockets and thieves, but I just made a point to keep close track of my stuff and remain aware of my surroundings. Nobody bothered me while I was there (about 40 minutes, waiting for my train to Venice). These photos were taken in June 2015.

Date: 04/17/16 15:55
Author: krm152

JOHN:
Have a great trip.  Will call you in a month or so.
MARK

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have some European travel coming up soon. 
> After meetings in Lauanne, planning on going to
> Milan for a couple of days and then returning to
> Zurich.  From SBB timetables, looks like route
> from Lausanne to Milan is different than the one
> from Milan to Zurich with the latter route going
> through Gotthard tunnel.  Any pitfalls on these
> trips?  Anything of interest railroad-wize in
> Milan.  Will be traveling first class at request
> of my traveling companion.
>
> Thank you,
>
> John

Date: 04/17/16 17:14
Author: WP17

Having returned just over a month ago from riding over a great portion of the Swiss railway system including travelling through both the Simplon and Gotthard tunnels, I can't encourage you enough to make sure you ride the Gotthard tunnel route (which is the direct route between Milan and Zurich). The loops and spiral tunnels on each side are spectacular, and you need to do it on this trip before the new Gotthard base tunnel opens later this year. I have to confess I found the Simplon tunnel route not nearly as impressive.
We also rode the interurban line between Domodossola and Locarno. Check out the name of the operation:-).  
It's quite a scenic crossing throught the mountains.

I spent several hours in Milan Centrale awaiting my Freccia service to Venice. You need to show a ticket to get from the main concourse to platform area -- I spent most of time on the train side of the controls and never felt threatened. BTW there is a great restaurant in the station -- Bistrot Milono Centrale -- reminded me of a small version of Eataly for those of you familar with Eataly in NYC or Chicago

WP17

Date: 04/17/16 19:05
Author: pramer

From what I see, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is set to open on June 1, 2016. If able, take a bus from Erstfeld to Wassen, walk down to the churchyard and turn around for a view of the spiral loops.Then continue by bus to Goeschennen to rejoin SBB or go around back and catch the Matterhorn Gotthard Railway..

Paul Ramer
Cincinnati, OH

Date: 04/17/16 23:41
Author: SOO6617

pramer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I see, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is set
> to open on June 1, 2016. If able, take a bus from
> Erstfeld to Wassen, walk down to the churchyard
> and turn around for a view of the spiral
> loops.Then continue by bus to Goeschennen to
> rejoin SBB or go around back and catch the
> Matterhorn Gotthard Railway..

The opening of the Base Tunnel in June isn't a big problem. If you are willing to change trains, the Locarno to Zürich or Basel InterRegio will continue to use the summit route for at least a year. You will need to change trains in Bellinzona, and perhaps in Arth-Goldau depending on the hour of your travel. A special feature of the InterRegio is the use of the Panorama Cars which feature extra large windows for better viewing the Alps. The cars are for First Class Passengers only. If you need to make a change at Arth-Goldau it will be to an ICN on an InterCity service and will be an across platform change. The Panorama Cars probably require a specific reservation as I don't believe they operate as Lounge Cars.

I tried a sample day in August 2016 and the EuroCity out of Milano Centrale is every two hours starting at 8:25am and it happens that the connection at Bellinzona meets the InterRegio to Basel for all four EuroCitys. So a second connection at Arth-Goldau will always be required, unless you layover in Bellinzona for an hour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/16 00:01 by SOO6617.

Date: 04/18/16 00:43
Author: spflow

I would agree re the Centovalli line. I would suggest you take a direct train Lausanne - Milano which will take you through the Simplon tunnel , and the either a direct train Milano - Zurich via the St Gotthard tunnel route, or get off at Domodossola and take the Centovalli line (run by the euphoniously titled operator FART) eastwards to Locarno and then to Bellinzona on the Gotthard route. I don't know what effect the base tunnel opening will have on your journey, but I would strongly advise you to take the classic route via the old tunnel.

Happy travels!

Paul,  London

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/16 01:18 by spflow.

Date: 04/18/16 08:52
Author: wag216

Milan, Italy is a streetcar "heaven". wag216

Date: 04/19/16 05:30
Author: DocJohn

Thank you vdfy much to all who responded.  We don't travel light so once on the train we like to continue to our destination without side trips. Also, my clients tend to want work from me when I am overseas.  A three or four hour train ride can be extremly productive and profitable.  My laptop is out, and I am writing within a few minutes of boarding the train.

John

Date: 04/19/16 15:25
Author: wmshawk

John, I spent lots of time based in Milan 8 years ago and made the Domodosola-Locarno FART excursion via Belinzona as a day trip.

It is the single most interisting and scenic train trip I have ever taken, so, it is something you should definately consider.

Leave your bags in the hotel and start out early and spend a couple of hours in Locarno before returning.

Its a loop trip so there is no deadhead involved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1034 seconds