Home Open Account Help 363 users online

European Railroad Discussion > England. Steam loco lost and found.

Date: 04/21/16 11:36
England. Steam loco lost and found.
Author: BobP

Interesting story.
An industrial steam engine last used to haul coal in the 1970s has been "rediscovered" at a convent in the east of England. It was thought the 1929 locomotive, called "Newstead", had been scrapped. However, it had been saved by an enthusiast who had it restored and then built a small track and shed at a convent near his home, where it remained for almost 30 years. It will be displayed at the Nene Valley Railway in Peterborough this weekend. Newstead - a Hunslet 16-inch saddle tank design - was used to transport coal at Woolley Colliery, on the border of South and West Yorkshire, before being purchased by vintage vehicle collector Malcolm Saul in the late 70s. His widow Jane, said: "Malcolm said ...
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-36083074

Date: 04/21/16 14:58
Re: England. Steam loco lost and found.
Author: CIT1023

Wolley Colliery is/was a few miles north of Barnsley, nearest station is Darton. I must have seen this loco during my railway career as a secondman based at Barnsley.
Keith G, London, UK

Date: 04/22/16 16:53
Re: England. Steam loco lost and found.
Author: 55002

Thanks for the link. As I live about 3 miles from the site of Wooley Colliery, I must have watched this in action as well. Chris, UK.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds