Home Open Account Help 383 users online

European Railroad Discussion > North London Ramblings

Date: 04/26/16 12:53
North London Ramblings
Author: 86235

I've been quite lucky over the past few weeks maanging to get pictures both on my way to work in the morning and on my return in the evening, and, last Saturday, on a cycle safari which took me from home in Muswell Hill to Willesden Junction and back. 

1: On Wednesday 20th 70020 climbing towards Harringay Park Junction at about 18:45 on the 4S83 London Gateway to Coatbridge intermodal. This often loads very lightly but last Wednesday it was more substantial than usual. London Gateway is a development by Dubai Ports World on the Thames some 25 miles east of London, on the site of the former Shellhaven oil refinery. As you can see work is on going on the electrification of the Gospel Oak to Barking Line, these are the first masts I've seen, they appeared over the weekend of the 9th & 10th April.

2: A quick ride on the bike round the corner to Oakfield Road for the 6L21 Whatley Quarry to Dagenham stone train, headed by favourite 59, 59201. It's emerging from the very short Crouch Hill Tunnel

3: On Thursday morning I had a meeting to attend in the City, as it didn't start until 9 I set off early in the opposite direction, stopping at Finchley Road and Frognal for another picture of the 4L91 which crosses London between about 07:15 and 08:30 (with a 30 minute recess between 07:40 and 08:10). As you can see I was almost bowled by a late running Felixstowe to Lawley Street which was about 25 minutes late

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/16 12:54 by 86235.

Date: 04/26/16 13:02
Re: North London Ramblings

4: My meeting was in Aldgate so I contrived a nice circuitous route using the North and East London Lines of the Overground. This 378 is heading towards Haggerston and Dalston Junction, it's ascending the ski jump that takes the line across the Regents Canal.

No pictures on Friday, weather was overcast and, later, quite wet but Saturday, despite being pretty cold was much better

5: At Brondesbury 70013 on the 4L97 Trafford Park to Felixstowe. Under normal circumstances these trains which link English and Scottish intermodal yards with the port of Felixstowe run from the West Coast Mainline to the North London Line via a short chord line between Primrose Hill and Camden. But that line was damaged in January and was only reopened with a 5 mph speed limit. Now it has been closed until early May whilst permanent repairs are made, so all freight has to find a path through the heavy passenger traffic along the North London Line

6: At Willesden a Euston bound Overground passes a Harrow and Wealdstone bound Bakerloo Line train

Date: 04/26/16 14:05

7: FInal picture from Saturday, GBRf's 4M23 Felixstowe to Hams Hall approaching West Hampstead

8: This morning a late running 4M07, Felixstowe to Burton on Trent

9: And finally another shot of the East London Line, taken at Haggerston this morning. The line is now lined with modern apartment buildings, in less than a generation areas like Haggerston have gone from desolate and deprived to desirable, with prices to match.

Date: 04/26/16 21:43
Author: NH2006

Fantastic!

Glad to see you getting some great stuff by bike!

Date: 04/26/16 22:28
Author: dwatry

Beautiful photos!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0716 seconds