Home Open Account Help 343 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Peak District Weekend

Date: 05/04/16 04:52
Peak District Weekend
Author: 86235

For the May Day holiday weekend we spent it in the Peak District in Central England with friends from university and their families. The weather was quite interesting, we had sun, snow, rain and hail / sleet at different times and boy was it cold. Not what you expect in late April / early May. I took a few pictures as opportunity allowed

1: The Midland mainline from London St Pancras to Sheffield skirts the eastern fringe of the Peak District between Duffield and Ambergate. On Saturday morning the 07:57 London St Pancras to Sheffield (arr 09:55) exiting Milford Tunnel near Belper in the Derwent Valley.

2: From Belper I drove northwest-ward to Peak Dale on what used to be the Midland's mainline to Manchester. Today it is a busy freight artery, carrying the mineral wealth of the Peak District. 66041 is on the 6H52 from Dowlow Quarry to Ashburys, a stone terminal in Manchester.

3: Later in the afternoon at Grindleford at the eastern portal of the three and a half mile Totley Tunnel, a Northern class 142 railbus on the 16:14 stopping train Sheffield to Manchester

Date: 05/04/16 05:00
Re: Peak District Weekend

4: We were staying in the little village of Carsington a couple of miles from the small Peak District town of Wirksworth, home of the Ecclesbourne Valley heritage railway. On Sunday their 15:12 Duffield (junction with the mainline) to Wirksworth leaving Shottle, one of two intermediate stations of typical Midland Railway design. Although the Wirksworth branch lost its passenger service in 1947 the station buildings at Shottle are still intact, courtesy of the local heating oil company, who use them as offices. The Metropolitan Cammell class 101 three car DMU is in original condition. The Ecclesbourne Valley have a number of heritage DMUs as well as older BR diesel locomotives which operate the majority of their train services. 

5: Yesterday the weather dawned clear (but cold). Back down at Belper an East Midlands Trains class 153 tin rocket running empty from Etches Park depot to Ambergate in preparation for forming an early morning commuter train back to Derby.

6: Finally, the 4E01 Southampton to Leeds emerges at speed from Milford Tunnel

Some more shots from the weekend here
https://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/2016/Spring-2016/i-8TJXbwd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/16 06:06 by 86235.

Date: 05/04/16 07:33
Author: exhaustED

Not sure how many people are aware but the majority of the UK's freight locos (including the class 66's you photographed) are EMD products, basically a 'sawn-off' SD70M! We also have some GE's and some Spanish-built locos from Vossloh, which have Caterpillar 16-cylinder engines. Just for information.

The area that the stone trains you mention originate from is called the 'White Peak' because the predominant geology there is limestone-based, and that's what the trains are transporting. The Peak District was the first national park to be established in the UK, in the 1960's i think. The northern part of the park is called the Dark Peak as the geology changes to a sandstone there, called millstone grit, as it was used to make millstones...short historical interlude over...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/16 08:46 by exhaustED.

Date: 05/04/16 07:48

exhaustED Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure how many people are aware but the
> majority of the UK's freight locos (including the
> class 66's you photographed) are EMD products,
> basically a 'sawn-off' SD70M! We also have some
> GE's and some Spanish-built locos from Vossloh,
> which have Caterpillar 16-cylinder engines. Just
> for information.

Only those new to the group I would say, the point has been made pretty regularly.

Date: 05/04/16 10:24
Author: dwatry

Photos 1 and 2 are awesome!

Date: 05/04/16 12:58

dwatry Wrote:
> Photos 1 and 2 are awesome!

Thanks Duncan, I was freezing and quite damp after that second picture. Peak Forest has a climate all of its own!

Date: 05/04/16 14:48
Author: tq-07fan

The Peak District is is a neat place, even without looking for trains. I rode the bus from Buxton to Derby through the forest and it gets considerably remote looking. And yes I did drink the Buxton water in Buxton! I like the semaphore blade picture, I hope they remain when I get back next time.

Jim

Date: 05/04/16 20:12
Author: MMD

A nice set of photos,   I always look forward to seeing what you post.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 05/04/16 21:31
Author: WP17

Nick

I have to say that I love the framing in photo #3. Brilliant!!!

WP17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/16 21:31 by WP17.

Date: 05/04/16 23:47

Thanks, that signal is very nicely positioned against a bridge.

Date: 05/06/16 00:44
Author: 55002

Nice set of photos, Nick. Did you manage to cycle the Monsal trail? A very pleasant and easy bike ride. Chris UK.

Date: 05/06/16 04:50

Thanks, no we walked the Monsal Trail (or part of it) but cycled the Tissington Trail from Ashbourne to the Royal Oak pub in Hurdlow and back which was about 30 miles round trip. At Hartington the old LNWR signal box is still intact, complete with level frame.

Date: 05/06/16 05:09
Author: agrafton

WP17 Wrote:
> Nick
>
> I have to say that I love the framing in photo #3.
> Brilliant!!!
>
> WP17

Agree !!!

Date: 05/06/16 11:46
Author: 55002

Snap. I've taken the bike and done the other trails.  Somewhat steeper than the London cycleways. chris uk

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0655 seconds