Home Open Account Help 209 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Stuttgart to Wuppertal on ICE 916 and IC 2226 on 25 Apr

Date: 05/07/16 14:40
Stuttgart to Wuppertal on ICE 916 and IC 2226 on 25 Apr
Author: tq-07fan

No tram pictures to show for Monday 25 April because in Stuttgart there weren't any due to a 24 hr warning strike. We walked to the Hauptbahnhof where the S-Bahn trains were operating on their normal schedules. This day I got Paul to book us on an ICE train to Frankfurt Flughafen and then a regular Intercity Train (IC) from Frankfurt Flughafen to Wuppertal.
1) Our ICE 916 is behind the McDonald's sign to the left of that class 111 on the S-Bahn train.
2) Probably one of the oldest locomotives I saw over there, a class 212 from the 1960's. This thing was tough though, it was pulling at least thirty container cars but a bridge blocked us from making a complete count. I have another slightly closer shot that I blew up if anyone is interested. 
3) You saw this yesterday, Frankfurt Flughafen. The ICE trains stop here instead of going all the way into Frankfurt Main Hbf.

Date: 05/07/16 14:41
Re: Stuttgart to Wuppertal on ICE 916 and IC 2226 on 25 Apr

We had five minutes to make the connection in theory. In reality our Intercity train was almost a half hour late, very unusual for Germany. the connection would have indeed worked as the trains make a cross the platform transfer. Five minutes verses an hour or two hours minimum connection times...
4) Intercity or IC 2226 with the DB equivalent of a Driving Van Trailer up front, except the DB one here has seating unlike the British versions.
5) In Rüsselsheim we passed some more interesting locomotives including this Class 151 from the 1970's.
6) Rüsselsheim is headquarters and the main factory for Opal. I wonder who made these shunters for Opal?

Date: 05/07/16 14:42

The ICE trains are comfortable enough although they do seam to get more passengers. The Intercity train that we were on had more space, less passengers but was an hour slower than what we could have done by traveling to Köln on the ICE train then getting on a Regional train from there. In fact Paul was upset that I wanted to ride the IC train but the trip along the Rhine was worth the extra time I think.
7) Interior of the IC coaches. Big  cleanwindows. Comfortable seats and lots of room, at least until Köln.
8) I took a lot of pictures along the Rhine. This one here shows our train being pushed around the curve at Hirzenach.
9) This shot out the window at Köln is one of my favorite shots from the whole trip overseas. everyone takes pictures of the big Cathedral that's behind where I am sitting. I take the pictures of the DB signals.

Date: 05/07/16 14:43

We made it into Wuppertal around a half hour late. I ended up with some nice signal there shots that I will post later.
10) What has been pushing us for the last three hours.
11) This is a handy little contraption. Hang onto your luggage and let the conveyor belt take it up for you.
12) Gepäckstück beim Transport. 

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 05/07/16 20:40
Author: Krokodil

Great write-up, looks like you having a great time! The engine in picture 2 does not like DB type 212, but looks more like a younger  Private railroad MAK type of engine with the overhangs on the front windows.

Thomas Eckhardt

Date: 05/08/16 06:39

Here is the blown up picture from Mannheim. 

Back home again now. Overcoming Jetlag by posting pictures here on Trainorders.

Jim

Date: 05/09/16 13:40
Author: E111

Krokodil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The engine in picture 2 does not like DB
> type 212, but looks more like a younger  Private
> railroad MAK type of engine with the overhangs on
> the front windows.
>
> Thomas Eckhardt

Actually, it is a mixture: This class was called V 100 PA by MaK (later on changed to G 1300 BB) and is based on the class V 100 (later classes 211, 212, 213) of the DB with carbody parts of MaK's first standard program (as Krokodile correctly pointed out). 10 units have been sold to private railroads in Germany and Sweden and they are different from the German Rail (DB) version in some details: They use a low-rev MaK MA 301 FAK prime mover instead of the high rev (1500 rpm) Maybach / Daimler-Benz or MAN diesels in the DB version and a 24 V electrical system. The 10 units have been built between 1964 and 1969. The locomotive in the picture was delivered in July 1965 to the Hersfelder Kreisbahn and is now in the possesion of Rhenus Rail (RRI). It was assigned the NVR (National Vehicle Registration) number  98 80 0212 903-5 D-xxxx in 2007 (originally -WINR, since 2012 -RRI), as it is very similar to the DB class 212.

Hope this helps!

E111

Date: 05/10/16 09:14
Author: Krokodil

Yes, the difference are subtle, the hoods are very close, but the distinctive rounded cab and hood corners corners of the 212 (V100) are missing in the MaK version. Also the hood ends are more slanted on the V100.

Thomas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/16 20:30 by Krokodil.

Date: 05/14/16 08:56

Thank you for the information on the little blue shunter. I have a spotter book but it is printed in German so that may be what the other pages are explaining.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0613 seconds