Home Open Account Help 320 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Looking for a passenger rail map of Poland

Date: 09/22/16 01:10
Looking for a passenger rail map of Poland
Author: gobbl3gook

Hi All, 

I'm looking for help from someone sitting at a desktop computer with a little time -- can anyone find a passenger rail map of Poland?  

In particular, looking at a ticketing website and talking to a Polish lady here at the hostel I'm at in Vilnius, Lithuania, there is a local train running from Bialystok through Elk and Gizycko to Gdansk.  

https://koleo.pl/search/elk/gdansk-glowny/23-09-2016_12:00

And also a local train from Suwalki to Bialystok.  

Can anyone confirm this somewhere else, and find a map or a list of all stops on the line?  Or, better, find a map that shows all passenger rail, including regional lines, in Poland?  

I'm in Lithuania, trying to put together a 6 day itinerary of train and bicycle travel.  No maps anywhere online that I've been able to spot with my iphone and google.  I know I can take a train from Vilnius to Marijampole, Li, then bicycle 50 to 150 kilometers to pick up lines in Poland, I'm just trying to get a clearer picture of what my options are in terms of stations and subsequent destinations.  

Thanks in advance, 

Ted in Lithuania

Pic attached of a meet in Svencioneliai.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/16 01:18 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 09/22/16 01:37
Re: Looking for a passenger rail map of Poland
Author: 86235

Date: 09/22/16 03:11

Hey, that's better than I could find.  It will take a bit to learn to ignore "dark green" and "dark teal".  

And to get online and try to verify that trains actually run on the light green and light teal lines.  

But it is better than anything I could find.  

And, for the record, at the RR museum here in Vilnius I talked to the staff and learned of a Saturday/Sunday service that operates between Marijampolis Lithuania and Augustow Poland (SE of Suwalki on the .jpg map posted above.  

I found confirmation of this in an official timetable.  You can get from Kaunas, Lithuania to Bialystok Poland.  Trains run only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Attached.  

(And I *thought* it would be possible to go from Vilnius, Li to Daugavpils, La on the Russian Kalingrad to St Peterburg train, but I was incorrect.  That line runs through Minsk, Belarus, which is not a no-visa country for westerners.  

So you can get from Poland to Lithuania by train, and Latvia to Estonia, but there is a 20 km gap between Li and La, from Daugapuls La to the Li border village of Turmantas.  There are lots of different bus lines connecting the La and Li rail networks, though.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/16 04:46 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 09/22/16 03:36

Presumably you can use www.bahn.com to verify times?

Date: 09/22/16 10:43
Author: mundo

http://www.seat61.com/news.htm#.V-QXZiErK1u

Did you try the above site?  

Date: 09/22/16 11:37

gobbl3gook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found confirmation of this in an official
> timetable.  You can get from Kaunas, Lithuania to
> Bialystok Poland.  Trains run only on Friday,
> Saturday and Sunday. 

According to the Man at Seat 61 that's on the new standard gauge line, no more transfer from standard to Russian gauge at the border.

Date: 09/22/16 14:12
Author: SOO6617

Date: 09/23/16 11:18

Thanks for the links, folks.  

I mu took a train to Kaunas, Lithuania today, and have a ticket for the 9:00 am train to Bialystok tomorrow.  Hopefully in Bialystok I can get a ticket through to Warsaw for me and my bicycle.  I'm interested to see the dual gauge setup at the Kaunas station.  

Also, last night I took the only remaining train with sleeper compartments from Vilnius to Kadainiai.  A real treat, most of these have been replaced with DMUs, but the compartment is a quite the experience, I shared a 6 person compartment with 4 women, ages 20s (2), 50s and 70s.  Compartments are very quiet, my compartment mates spoke a little English.  It was a pleasant, mostly quiet ride.  

Edit -- how is it that we're 6 years into the iPhone age (the Internet itself has only been widespread for 22) and software still can't determine how to indicate which way is up in a photo?...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 14:07 by gobbl3gook.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds