Home Open Account Help 272 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Paris subway

Date: 10/27/16 11:47
Paris subway
Author: box8513

I recall riding the Paris subway (Metro) years ago. It seems to me that the train was riding on tires. Did they try that?

Date: 10/27/16 15:03
Re: Paris subway
Author: boejoe

I, too, rode a line that had rubber tires for traction.  Don't know if still active or not.  It was a smooth experience, as I recall.

Date: 10/27/16 16:16
Author: Ray_Murphy

This technology is in widespread use - you don't have to go to Paris to see it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber-tyred_metro

Ray

Date: 10/27/16 17:56
Author: tq-07fan

Date: 10/28/16 15:53
Author: spflow

Thr Paris Metro started to "modernise" some lines on the late 1960s by re-equiping them with rubber-tyred trains with a concrete track, while the rails were kept and used for guidance purposes only. At the time it was expected that in due course all lines would be so converted - the benefits being a quieter ride and better adhesion for more rapid acceleration and braking. It turned out that (unsurprisingly)  energy costs were dramatically increased and so no new lines were converted after the 1970s. I believe that new lines and whole systems have been built elsewhere, especially in France, as the benefits are the ability to have steep grades and also to reduce noise. However, conversion of existing lines does not appear to make any economic sense.

The export of this system to other cities was a direct result of the old style of "consultancy" whereby an existing operator (eg Paris or London) would recommend their own pet system and suppliers to the client. Hence the Toronto subway was built as a replica of London's District Line, the Budapest metro was a simple copy of the Moscow Metro, and the systems in Montreal, Santiago and Mexico city were based on the then latest Paris fashion in metro technology. It all just goes to show that consultants don't always sell you what you want or need. I speak from personal experience!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/16 15:54 by spflow.

Date: 10/30/16 07:55
Author: railstiesballast

As I have experienced and in comments from others, these rubber tire lines are quite warm.  All that waste energy from inefficient propulsion ends up as heat in the tires which over the years has warmed up the interiors of the tunnels and stations.  Kind of nice in January, ugly in August.
Since the 1960s RR suspension and track technology has advanced to where a properly maintained Wheel-Rail Interface has much less flange squeal and corrugation and welded rail has reduced noise from joints; all this diminishes the primary appeal of the rubber tire.
In addition to the transit system equipment discussed in this thread, Michelin made rubber tread RR wheels for lightweight passenger equipment on the general network.  IIRC at least one diesel rail car passenger set was exported to the US and a DMU with Michelin wheels is on display in the French RR museum in Mulouse, France.  

Date: 10/30/16 13:52
Author: TAW

spflow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It all just goes to
> show that consultants don't always sell you what
> you want or need. I speak from personal
> experience!

Yup; like 150 miles of electrification between Mexico and Queretaro and 39 E60s.

TAW

Date: 10/30/16 14:58
Author: spflow

TAW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> spflow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It all just goes to
> > show that consultants don't always sell you
> what
> > you want or need. I speak from personal
> > experience!
>
> Yup; like 150 miles of electrification between
> Mexico and Queretaro and 39 E60s.
>
> TAW

Exactly!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0715 seconds