Home Open Account Help 271 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Llanvihangel Crucorney

Date: 03/31/17 09:42
Llanvihangel Crucorney
Author: 86235

Three pictures taken yesterday and today and featuring three different classes of locomotive, all wearing the latest DB red paint scheme.

Yesterday's Cardiff to Holyhead Express service with 67010 pushing has just crested the summit at the site of Llanvihangel's station, which closed 50+ years ago. There's not much left, except the path down from the road to the platform, which is still used by Network Rail today.

The express was followed some 10 minutes later by 66149 on an Acton to Moreton on Lugg working consisting of empty HJA and HKA hoppers, which will be loaded with stone for the construction industry. MoL is located between Hereford & Leominster, it's a block post with a signal box and a slew of semaphores. The mountain in the background is Skirrid

Today's loaded steel was in the hands of 60091 Barry Needham. By the time it appeared at 14:30 the weather had started to deteriorate, earlier it was warm and sunny. But things change quite rapidly in the Black Mountains, as I'm starting to appreciate.

Date: 03/31/17 10:18
Re: Llanvihangel Crucorney
Author: krm152

Thanks for posting another great set of photos.
ALLEN

Date: 04/01/17 07:14
Author: jfrank39

It's so cold and wet even the horses need a blanket.

Date: 04/01/17 09:29
Author: spflow

jfrank39 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's so cold and wet even the horses need a
> blanket.

I always thought horses had blankets to keep out the cold, but our neighbour who is a breeder recently told me that a coat is only used to keep out the rain. However the weather in the Black Mountains does leave quite a lot to be desired, although the east side is in quite a rain shadow.

Great pics as always.

Date: 04/01/17 10:54
Author: dwatry

Nick - gosh I can't pronounce either Welsh word but your photos are the best on TO, as always!

Duncan

Date: 04/02/17 06:03

Thanks, it does get a bit wet occasionally. Luckily in our part of Wales few actually speak Welsh, and none as the lingua franca, unlike further west in Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Gwynedd. That little horse was a real star, only wandering into view as it heard the train approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/17 06:13 by 86235.

Date: 04/04/17 22:55
Author: JimBaker

How about "Flan-vill-angle Crue-cerny"
--Sorry I tried  ..jb

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 04/05/17 10:06

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about "Flan-vill-angle Crue-cerny"
> --Sorry I tried  ..jb

Not bad

Date: 04/05/17 17:42
Author: PHall

I think the Welsh make up these place names just to get back at the English!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds