Home Open Account Help 377 users online

European Railroad Discussion > A look round Boston Lodge Works

Date: 04/07/17 11:20
A look round Boston Lodge Works
Author: 86235

As I'm riding tomorrow's Snowdonian over the full length of the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways there's the usual opportunity to get to see behind the scenes at the Company's engineering works.

1: boiler components for the planned New double engine. Should they be left outside I wonder?

2: work is currently underway on a rebuild of large England 0-4-0 Welsh Pony, these are the frames.

3: and this is the boiler.

Date: 04/07/17 11:25
Re: A look round Boston Lodge Works

4: the running shed, this is Lyd which will be out tomorrow.

5: and this is Garratt 87 next to the ash heap. And I complain about keeping our solid fuel Rayburn ash free :-)

6: Taliesin, built at Boston Lodge in 1999, is a single Fairlie. It's due to take us to Blaenau tomorrow, along with Prince and Palmerston

Date: 04/07/17 11:30

7: the Ffestiniog has a large stud of diesels, mainly for behind the scenes work. This is the Boston Lodge works shunter.

8: in the car shop there are pictures of the equipment they've built and rebuilt, for themselves and others.

9: this diminutive Decauville 0-4-0 is here for the Notes and Queries Weekend over the May bank holiday.

Date: 04/07/17 11:35

10: it dates from 1885 and is currently on a 2' gauge line in Kent. It was rescued from deepest Peru.

11: preparing David Lloyd George for tomorrow, emptying the ash pan.

12: Taliesin takes her place in the shed, there to simmer until tomorrow.

As you can see the weather today was pretty wonderful, set fair tomorrow too.

Date: 04/07/17 14:46
Author: andersonb109

With no disrespect to places here like Chama, Boston Lodge is one of the best places in the world for steam. It has access, great variety of power and magnificent surrounding scenery. Have a great trip on these two fine lines. 

Date: 04/08/17 04:47
Author: GPutz

Thanks, Nick.  I've put Boston Lodge on my list, if i ever get over there again.  Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds