Home Open Account Help 331 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Forklift Unloading supplies at Finse now

Date: 05/19/17 13:07
Forklift Unloading supplies at Finse now
Author: mp16

Train arrived about 10;02 pm (Norway time, 4:02 pm Eastern Daylight Time USA.) It's not dark
Train should be there about another 30 minutes or so

Date: 05/19/17 13:25
Re: Forklift Unloading supplies at Finse now
Author: joemagruder

It's a fun show to watch, but one wonders why they don't just use a 20' container and a larger fork lift to avoid the station time.

Date: 05/20/17 09:00
Author: jfrank39

joemagruder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a fun show to watch, but one wonders why they
> don't just use a 20' container and a larger fork
> lift to avoid the station time.

I have wondered the same thing.

Date: 05/20/17 12:26
Author: Ray_Murphy

jfrank39 Wrote:
> joemagruder Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's a fun show to watch, but one wonders why
> they
> > don't just use a 20' container and a larger
> fork
> > lift to avoid the station time.
>
>
> I have wondered the same thing.

Watch the 7 1/2 hour Bergen-Oslo video series that covers this line. Aside from the Oslo area, there's not that much traffic to contend with.

Ray

Date: 05/20/17 13:43
Author: DesertDon

I've watched the unloading of freight a couple of times now and I was impressed at how flexible the operation can be. The off loading point was populated with picnic tables during periods of heavy snow but now are moved to an area were snow coming off the roof will not be a problem. The moving of tables, off loading of freight, segregation and distribution of freight is all done by a forklift. The freight, much of which is packaged in large bags is removed from a car from the side and segregated for distribution at the unloading area. The railroad cars are flats with stakes on the sides. The stakes are removed to facilitate the handling of the load are replaced before the train leaves. The operation is quick, and can adapt to conditions a the loading area such as snow and ice. The largest piece of equipment is the forklift which is used for a number of operations including putting the picnic tables back after the freight is removed.

It seems they have developed a system that does not need specialized equipment, handles lighter loads and allows flexible distribution. The same is true for shippers sending freight to Finse. Interesting to watch.

Date: 05/21/17 08:35
Author: Railbaron

DesertDon Wrote:
> I've watched the unloading of freight a couple of times now ....

Is there a somewhat regular day / time this unloading operation occurs? I've seen a lot of through freight trains, even meets, but never the "supply train".

Date: 05/21/17 11:33
Author: darkcloud

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/17 23:16 by darkcloud.

Date: 05/22/17 08:24
Author: TAW

Curious - Every time I go there the link goes to a static advertising page. A still image of the station cam shows below an advertising image that is labeled Finse Stasjon Live. clicking that goes to a static advertising page. Clicking the station cam image below moves up to the Finse Stasjon Live image that is linked to the static advertising page.

How are you getting in?

TAW

Date: 05/22/17 08:45
Author: Railbaron

TAW Wrote:
> Curious - Every time I go there the link goes to a static advertising page. A still image of the
> station cam shows below an advertising image that is labeled Finse Stasjon Live. clicking that goes
> to a static advertising page. Clicking the station cam image below moves up to the Finse Stasjon Live
> image that is linked to the static advertising page.
>
> How are you getting in?
>
> TAW

In the past when I've gone to that sire it opens with a "still" shot, then goes to an advertisement, then goes to the live shot. I would assume if you paused and let the site load you'd get to the live shot also after watching the ad.

What I found interesting is that I just changed to a "new" browser and this time it took me directly to the live shot - no ad or anything.

-----------------

As a note to "Darkcloud", thank you for the heads-up on the times the supply train seems to get there; I'll check the site according and see what I can see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/17 08:46 by Railbaron.

Date: 05/26/17 12:59
Author: darkcloud

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/17 23:17 by darkcloud.

Date: 05/27/17 08:55
Author: TAW

darkcloud Wrote:

> I haven't had any problems accessing the cam using
> Chrome with uBlock (an ad blocker.) Cam loads
> almost immediately.

Still not working on Firefox. It goes to a still of an ad video, ad blocker on or off. Clicking on it goes to the ad website. Tried on Chrome (no ad blocker on Chrome). The ad runs with a timer to allow escaping to the station cam when the timer runs down.

TAW

Date: 05/28/17 02:44
Author: dan

are there any ways to move a container, if that was used

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds