Home Open Account Help 402 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Small engines weekend, East Lancashire Railway in Bury

Date: 05/24/17 05:51
Small engines weekend, East Lancashire Railway in Bury
Author: WrongWayMurphy

June. 3 and 4 is what is known as small engines weekend at Bury.

We will be in MAN that weekend and I think I can sneak off.
What should I expect from this event?
By small, are these miniature steam engines or just small standard gauge lokies?
Is this simply an engine display, or passenger train excursions?
My bride is not into the trains, but would this be a thing a gal might enjoy?

Shane Murphy
Tyler, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/17 10:59 by WrongWayMurphy.

Date: 05/24/17 08:29
Re: Small engines weekend, East Lancashire Railway in Bury
Author: 86235

The ELR is a standard gauge heritage railway so a small engine weekend will involve their steam and diesel shunting / switching types. As is usual at these sort of events they'll probably have a few visiting locos too. Check their website for specifics.

Date: 05/25/17 10:25
Author: eminence_grise

My father, grandfather and several generations before them were from Ainsworth near Bury.

The railway is in a valley, and connects several towns whose heritage was the textile industry. Anyone familiar with the textile mills of New England would recognize the few remaining cotton mills which dominate these towns. Ramsbottom has become gentrified as professionals from Manchester move out to the smaller centres. There is at least one preserved water powered cotton mill from the late 1700's in the area.

Bury Market (long established farmers street market) is famous for "black pudding" (blood sausage).

Above the towns are pleasant rolling hills with little villages.

Date: 05/26/17 07:17
Author: tq-07fan

Did not visit this one, but, for the few heritage railways and museums my dad and I visited we found that they were different than what we see in the US. Many have Tea Rooms of some sort and station and other facilities were well kept. The trains we rode ran on time. Of course the scenery was usually pretty good as well. I say drag her with you.

http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/

In looking at the site it looks like a good operation, they even show how to connect to it using Manchester Metrolink trams.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds