Home Open Account Help 309 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Can you ID this, please?

Date: 05/31/17 05:17
Can you ID this, please?
Author: BobE

I suspect this is in the UK, but I really have no idea. Picture and slide mount info in attached images. Photo by my old friend Fran Wiener, departed this Earth 25 years ago.

TIA,

BobE

Date: 05/31/17 05:43
Re: Can you ID this, please?
Author: spflow

I am afraid that these locos couldn't have been any farther from the UK - they are a pair of D1 class 3ft 6inch gauge Co-Co diesels from New Zealand, operating from and around Dunedin on the South Island. They were built in Australia for this service in the late 1960s and were withdrawn about twenty years later.

Date: 05/31/17 06:01
Author: BobE

spflow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am afraid that these locos couldn't have been
> any farther from the UK - they are a pair of D1
> class 3ft 6inch gauge Co-Co diesels from New
> Zealand, operating from and around Dunedin on the
> South Island. They were built in Australia for
> this service in the late 1960s and were withdrawn
> about twenty years later.

Thanks for the info. Since I've scanned the slide, I'll put the image over on the International board.

BobE

Date: 06/11/17 00:08
Author: ajgreen

Yes near Dunedin in the South Island of New Zealand. The train is dropping down grade (South bound) and crossing over the overpass at Sawyers Bay (road goes underneath to Port Chalmers) as it heads to the cement works at Burnside with a load of Limestone on from Dunback (near Palmerston). The line from Sawyers Bay to Port Chalmers (Port line) can be seen in under the overpass.

Hope that helps.

Allister

Blenheim

New Zealand

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds