Home Open Account Help 370 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Semmering Pass photo ops questions

Date: 06/08/17 15:30
Semmering Pass photo ops questions
Author: frntinplate

After the recent Trains Magazine article and photo coverage of Semmering Pass I don't want to wait until the last minute to get photos. Last year I spent a week on Gottard before the tunnel opened and am considering a similar photo voyage next year (around May). However, looking at maps and Google views it seems most of the line is tree lined.

Just how hard is it to get decent photos from the hiking paths, auto road stop offs, etc. I don't mind walking a bit, but am not interested in lots of near wayside photos that don't give a good overview of the line.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Thanks

Date: 06/08/17 16:50
Re: Semmering Pass photo ops questions
Author: birdman

The Semmeringbahn is very hard to photograph. I spent three days there in 2015. The route is very much in the trees and despite the spectacular bridges and many tunnels, photo ops are not that plentiful. Here are some suggestions.

1. Semmering. There are a number of photo angles in the area around the station at Semmering. It is possible to sit above the tunnel portals and shoot down on the station area. The portals are adjacent to the platforms and can be shot at track level.

2. Breitenstein. This was my favorite spot. Quite a few photo angles here and a nice place to sit and spend time. Walk north along the railroad about a quarter of a mile to where the railroad exits a tunnel and goes under a small road bridge. Shots can be taken from the bridge and at track level.

3. Wolfsbergkogel. Take the hiking path to the north along the Semmeringbahn away from the Semmering station and tunnel. It will leave the railroad, go down hill and then up to the tracks at the small station at another tunnel portal (about 1/2 mile). Walk up hill from the station and follow the signs and path to an observation tower. Go to the top of the tower for a spectacular view of the line and the station of Breitenstein in the distance.

4. Payerbach. Station area with old steam loco on display and a viaduct nearby. Go on Sunday and ride the old interurban to the end of the line and back. Now a museum, this is a fantastic experience.

5. Echberg. Take a short walk north on path along railroad to the only open area on the Semmeringbahn. Shoot photos from the hillside meadow along the tracks.

There are no amenities so pack a lunch and water bottle. The Semmeringbahn is a very interesting and different railroad than others in Europe - well worth seeing but harder to photograph than some of the other mountain crossings. There are no big vistas or places where you can get very far from the tracks or places where you can escape the trees. This is not Switzerland. This is a totally different experience. When I was there, trains ran left-handed. There were lots of trains - both freight and passenger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/17 18:24 by birdman.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds