Home Open Account Help 363 users online

European Railroad Discussion > UK Memories: Hope Valley

Date: 07/11/17 20:47
UK Memories: Hope Valley
Author: wheelnrail

2 Years is not enough time to properly cover the UK. During my tenure being stationed in East Anglia, I only got to visit the mountainous regions of the country a handful of times. One of my favorite places in England (not all of UK), and what I feel was probably the most under rated mainline in the Midlands, is the Hope Valley Line.

I visited this gem of a railway once, and I loved every minute being there. The serenity of it all, the "mountains", and open country made it a wonderful experience. I also loved the infrastructure, with some places still controlled by a manned signal box and semaphores. Traffic here is marginal, mostly DMUs and a few freights from Peak Dale, but I couldn't care less, it was a great experience. The following images were taken on June 23, 2015.

#1. An East Midlands 158 rushes out of Totley Tunnel and into the station at Grindleford, the gateway to the Hope Valley.

#2. A Transpennine 185 rounds the curve, about to enter the tunnel for Sheffield.

#3. A Freightliner 66 hauls cement around a curve near Grindleford, headed east for Sheffield.

More...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/17 03:59 by wheelnrail.

Date: 07/11/17 20:51
Re: UK Memories: Hope Valley

#4. The Valley is known by trainspotters for the rock trains that pass through, originating at Peak Dale. One such train heads east at Hope, spewing dust while moving at speed. It was fantastic!

#5. The small UK trains look even more insignificant compared to the beauty that is the Peak District.

#6. A Transpennine 185 passes the Edale signal box on the west end of the valley, bound for Sheffield.

More...

Date: 07/11/17 20:55

#7. I always liked the Class 150's. Here's a set working east towards Sheffield, just outside Edale.

#8. A Pacer at Hope. I felt sympathy for those on board having to endure the hell all the way to Sheffield.

#9. Just before I left, a Freightliner 66 was hauling another cement train west towards Manchester, passing by the station at Hathersage.

I wish I visited this place more instead of London, and the south in general, but I'm glad I got the chance. More memories to come in the future. Thanks for looking!

Date: 07/11/17 23:48
Author: krm152

Thanks very much for posting these very interesting and excellently composed photos from the UK. I especially liked the Class 66 photos.
ALLEN

Date: 07/12/17 00:10
Author: 55002

From nearby Yorkshire, I've visited this area many times. It's a great place for photography, particularly in the fall colours. Your collection is superb. I have done a return trip from Bamford to Manchester in a Pacer, a thoroughly miserable experience!! chris uk.

Date: 07/12/17 02:27
Author: 86235

Yep, the Hope Valley's a great line, scenery, semaphores, lots of trains and two of our longest tunnels, the three and a half mile Totley at the east end and two and a half mile Cowburn at the west end. Nice set.

Date: 07/12/17 02:41
Author: exhaustED

Very nice shots and glad you enjoyed what I too would say is a very beautiful part of the Peak District. Your very accurate assessment of the Pacer made me smile!

Date: 07/12/17 05:02
Author: GPutz

Great scenery. Thanks for posting. Gerry

Date: 07/12/17 05:15
Author: SD70M

Indeed, a very scenic part of the country. My wife greatly enjoyed hiking in that neck of the woods when she was studying at Sheffield University.

Date: 07/16/17 12:10
Author: dan

nice colorful look thanks

Date: 08/07/17 18:19
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!! Thanks for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds