Home Open Account Help 288 users online

European Railroad Discussion > A few comments on Europe Trip

Date: 07/19/17 16:34
A few comments on Europe Trip
Author: palmland

We returned last week from our Europe trip. It is hard to believe the frequency and quality of their rail service. At some point I'll post photos. Europe certainly has the technology for HSR on about any route we have in the U.S. Of course what is different is the massive federal investment to support that network in Europe.

A few observations:
We were on 14 different trains. All but one had facing seats with electric power on both ends. Since most of the large terminals are stub end, the crew simply changed ends and the train departed in the opposite direction with minimal terminal dwell.

Facing seats are not all bad. Between the seat backs is a great place to stow your bag. If you're in 1st class, you can easily talk to your spouse and have the room of the 2-1 (or rather 4-2) seating.

Italy's Frecciarossa HSR trains were the best for comfort and service. And while slightly slower than France, they generally ran 165/175 mph. Imagine Amtrak coming through the train and offering free snack boxes and water, coffee, or Presecco! The food in the bar car looked delicious.

Switzerland was like a Railfan's candy store. So many trains, so many different types and so easy to connect to everything. And while they weren't as fast or luxurious as France or Italy, you sure can't beat the scenery.

Generally, however, the OBS and train crews seemed along for the ride. I observed very little activity of any kind. Perhaps the operation is controlled more directly between the engineer and dispatcher. The conductors didn't bother to collect tickets on all but a couple trains.

France had the fastest trains - usually at 185/mph with one stretch I recorded between Basel and Paris at 196. But, all their HSR equipment looked a little threadbare - sort of like an Amtrak Superliner. One of the trains had their newer double decker HS cars - but it too looked a little tired.

The main terminals were like NYP on steroids. The only saving grace - they were generally on only one of two levels. But like NYP, they kept you waiting to see what track to run for. I think it was Milan that had 46 tracks.

The strangest train was the Rothorn cog railroad - two car steam powered. Spectacular trip as was the Bernina Express. What a ride. On two routes what seemingly was a 'normal' train running at decent speeds would, when they encountered a grade, activate the cog gears for the ascent and descent. These were not tourist operations but operated with commuter train frequency out of Lucerne.

Maybe the most relaxing train was the pleasant train to Normandy from Paris. Traditional single level coaches with forward facing seats and very nicely furnished with comfortable seats, window curtains and a good rail fan window in the last car of the train we were in.

And for airline fans out there, my new favorite airline is Aegean - based in Athens. I was a little dubious about booking a cheap fare on them. But it was very impressive for a regional airline. The flight attendants all looked like they stepped out of a Paris fashion show. The uniforms were very retro complete with old stewardess style hats. Their cabin service looked almost like it was choregraphed. And on our two hour flight in coach at 4pm we were served a delicious hot pasta meal and all the wine we wanted.

I think it was Basel, we saw cars for the Austrian Night Jet service. It would be fun to try that - next trip.

But we're glad to be home and can get back to discussing the latest misfortunes of Amtrak.

Date: 07/19/17 19:07
Re: A few comments on Europe Trip
Author: andersonb109

Sounds like you had a great time. Yes, next time try the overnight services. They save a night in an expensive hotel (relatively) and you arrive right downtown at your next city to explore. I'm a little surprised about your one station comment. I find tracks to normally be posted in plenty of time. And in some countries particularly Germany, the tracks are posted on each platform and elsewhere for every train all day at anytime although sometimes there are last minute changes.

Date: 07/19/17 22:28
Author: SD70M

Indeed, try the Nightjet, and enjoy the music from the OBB Taurus locomotives. Check out the videos on Youtube and you will see/hear what I mean.

Date: 07/20/17 06:41
Author: mexrail

I finished 37 days in Europe at the end of May. Generally have same comments. Totally impressed with the various rail systems, frequency and efficiency. Rode conventional and HSR in Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland including the Bernina Express, Germany, Austria, Hungry, Czech Rep, Netherlands and Belgium. Even conventional service was high speed for Amtrak. Very impressed with Europeans use of rail but given the density of population especially in Benelux and Germany, it makes total sense, Even rode with school kids from Rothenburg, Germany to main line connection. Was also impressed with the speed of their container unit trains as they blew through smaller stations. Overall, a great trip.

Mexrail

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds