Home Open Account Help 344 users online

European Railroad Discussion > A Walk from Zermatt to Tasch

Date: 01/01/18 13:33
A Walk from Zermatt to Tasch
Author: MEKoch

In Zermatt, one wants to see the Matterhorn, but it was totally clouded over. So we decided to take a Swiss mountain hike back to Tasch, about 5 km. I knew it paralleled the rail line coming into Zermatt, so I thought a nice hike with train photo possibilities was a good combination.

Departing Zermatt we climb gently enjoying the wonderful mountain air. Beneath us is the rail line in a tunnel.

Date: 01/01/18 13:37
Re: A Walk from Zermatt to Tasch

The track is busy with trains every 10 minutes. Mostly single track with passing sidings. Naturally the Swiss have all this arranged very precisely.

Date: 01/01/18 13:39

Continuing the walk, the railroad is busy and the valley superb. Sheep grazing. My wife always wondered how sheep could stand on such a steep hillside. Was one set of legs longer than the other side???

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/18 13:46 by MEKoch.

Date: 01/01/18 13:45

More sheep. Then a view down the valley to Tasch. Since Zermatt is car-free, one must leave their car in Tasch and ride shuttle trains to Zermatt.

In the valley nearing Tasch I was able to picture trains meeting. A northbound train approaches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/18 13:49 by MEKoch.

Date: 01/01/18 13:53

The northbound proceeds. The southbound waits patiently. Finally he can proceed.

Date: 01/01/18 13:56

Southbound proceeds. On his way to Zermatt.

Tasch is a cute Swiss village. Typical Swiss houses. We then took the shuttle back to Zermatt.

Date: 01/01/18 19:15
Author: BobP

Now that's nice!

Date: 01/01/18 19:36
Author: gaspeamtrak

Yep , that's on my bucket list too !!! :):):)

Date: 01/01/18 20:22
Author: mundo

THANKS for this unusal series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/18 20:26 by mundo.

Date: 01/01/18 21:29
Author: SOO6617

Very nice, too many photographers take pictures of the trains, but not the scenery the run in.

Date: 01/03/18 03:09
Author: andersonb109

An ever better walk is the one from Gonergratt all the way down to Zermatt. It's also along the railway a good part of the way. Once near Zermatt, there is a high bridge with a waterfall in the background. Hiking down, my knees were sore for days!

Date: 01/05/18 10:46
Author: march_hare

SO this is what precision railroading really looks like.

Very nice, I gotta get here some time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds