Home Open Account Help 391 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 12

Date: 01/03/18 07:12
Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 12
Author: CNStratford

Picture 1 - After 9 hours of overnight travel, this was the scenery.
Picture 2 - What does a traveller do during the six days on a train. I chose to read the complete War and Peace by Tolstoy - a fascinating account. I loved the bureaucracy of war more than the social intrigue.
Picture 3 - A station stop in Kirov. A chance to get out and walk around.
Tomorrow this series will be on the International Board as the train proceeds into Asia.

Date: 01/03/18 14:49
Re: Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 12
Author: andersonb109

What is the food like? Are there station stops where there is enough time to get out on the platform for some phots? I did the trip with the Golden Eagle in 2011. I found the scenery to be much like your photo most of the way across and incredibly boring. An open platform or dome car would have helped the situation immensely. Thanks for all your great reporting.

Date: 01/03/18 23:42
Author: krm152

Thanks for diligently posting your photo account.
ALLEN

Date: 01/04/18 06:37
Author: CNStratford

Good Day Bruce
The trip continues on the International Discussion Board.
I will discuss food and scenery in later posts.
I have travelled all over the world by train and as far as I am concerned the best railway scenery is on the obscure line in Canada north from Sept Isles Quebec up the Moisie Valley now run by a First Nations group.

Date: 01/04/18 16:34
Author: MEKoch

The Big Red Train Ride! Sound very appropriate to gain a comparison to that era.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds