Home Open Account Help 344 users online

European Railroad Discussion > SBB

Date: 01/05/18 14:41
SBB
Author: MEKoch

Switzerland trains had a wide variety of services and equipment and operators. The Schweizer Bundesbahn (SBB), like most rail services has settled on equipment in large numbers, which they use all day long; turning quickly at end points. Three times we rode double deck cars in intercity service. The were all EMU sets. On the trip from Berne to Lausanne I walked through a dining car.

1) typical double deck equipment
2) double deck first class car - upper level
3) double deck first class car - lower level

Date: 01/05/18 14:43
Re: SBB

The dining area was on the upper level. I don't know where the preparation area was located.
4) dining area
5 dining area - second view

You can see the loose chairs in the dining area. Looks comfortable. But the FRA has prohibited Amtrak from loose furniture in their cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/18 14:46 by MEKoch.

Date: 01/06/18 10:16
Author: SOO6617

Since there is no snow on the ground in any of the photos I assume your travel happened before 2018. In that case the segment with the dining car would be in a IC2000 train powered by a Re460 locomotive in push-pull mode. At peak travel times the train will pickup an extra cut of passenger cars on the opposite side of the locomotives making it look like an EMU, but until the new RABe-502 Swiss Express sets by Bombardier go into service this summer(finally!)
there are no dining facilities on any SBB Doubledeck EMU sets.

Date: 01/06/18 16:53
Author: tq-07fan

How are these for having enough space for luggage?

Jim

Date: 01/07/18 17:26

Travel date was 9-17. Boarded in Berne, but did not see the front end of the train.

Plenty of luggage space above seat and in racks near doors.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds