Home Open Account Help 309 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Great Western "Night Riviera" Sleeper

Date: 02/16/18 14:01
Great Western "Night Riviera" Sleeper
Author: CP8888

I am interested in taking either the Great Western or Caledonian
sleeper trains in the UK. Anyone have travel experience on these trains.
I believe these are the last two sleepers operating on the National Rail Network.

Thank-you in advance for any and all replies. I am in the US Midwest and
new to UK trains.

Date: 02/16/18 16:26
Re: Great Western "Night Riviera" Sleeper
Author: 86235

There are in fact three sleepers on Britain's railways, two connect Scotland with London; the Highland sleeper from Inverness, Aberdeen and Fort William and the Lowland from Edinburgh and Glasgow, both load up to 16 or 17 cars depending on season. They are about to be re-equipped with new stock built by CAF which is currently being delivered.

The third train is, as you say, the Night Riviera connecting London with the South West of England, the counties of Devon and Cornwall. I've ridden it a few times over the years, in both directions. It leaves London at 23:45 reaching Penzance (305 miles by the direct route) about eight hours later. To while away the night hours it follows a somewhat roundabout route. Until 2005 Plymouth, which is the most important intermediate stop, was served by a set out sleeper, which I used on a couple of occasions but today you're decanted during the train's now brief stop at 05:43! It is not being re-equipped but the stock used, both sleepers and non-sleeping cars have been re-furbished. Unlike the Scottish sleepers the non-sleeping car portion of the train used to be standard 2+2 Mk 3 seating stock but I think today they've been adapted for their overnight role although I don't think they have the reclining seats that the Scottish train's non-sleeping car coaches are equipped with.

West of Plymouth the train stops at all principle stations and provides early morning local service. Similarly the Penzance to London train (Penzance dep 21:45) provides late evening local service from Penzance to Plymouth. It arrives in London at 05:40, sitting passengers are ejected on arrival but sleeping car passengers can stay onboard until 07:30. It normally terminates in platform 1 at Paddington which is adjacent to the first class lounge which sleeping car passengers can use for a wash and brush up. There's also a bar lounge car serving snacks and drinks.

Here's a picture of the westbound Night Riviera I took in May 2004 at Trerulefoot in Cornwall between Plymouth and Liskeard, the Plymouth set out sleeper was still in service so the departure time from Plymouth was somewhat later than it is today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/18 02:27 by 86235.

Date: 02/16/18 18:16
Author: crusader5619

The Man in Seat 61 web site will give you all the information you need.

Date: 02/17/18 01:54
Author: andersonb109

The Caledonian Sleepers are being re-equipped planned for later this year. I've ridden the current equipment. Rooms are small but comfortable. Windows small but you are sleeping most of the time. If you are in Scotland, they provide a great way to get back to London for flight back to the U.S. avoiding an expensive London hotel. You can occupy the cars until a decent hour...check the web site for exact times. Then its a quick ride on the tube or taxi over to Paddington for the Heathrow Express to the airport. The Night Riviera is on my bucket list but haven't as of yet had a chance to experience it. It has been threatened with closure in the past.

Date: 02/17/18 12:12
Author: gaspeamtrak

crusader5619 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Man in Seat 61 web site will give you all the
> information you need.

If you look on his website there is a video clip of the "HighLand sleeper" from Fort William to london which is just amazing!!! It's posted on You Tube also. You have to do it in the summer though. He also has a video on "The Night Riviera" Just go to "You Tube"and type in "Mark Smith" and you will see a bearded guy in a red shirt !!!

Date: 02/17/18 18:43
Author: DavidP

My daughter and I rode Paddington to Penzance in July 2016. Cabins are spartan, but the bunk was comfortable and the duvet provided quite warm. There's a pleasant lounge car that begins serving drinks prior to departure and continues well past midnight. The attendant brings a continental breakfast to your room in the morning. Because the entire run takes place during what most would consider “sleeping hours” the bunks remain in place...not sure if it is configurable for day use.

Dave

Date: 02/17/18 18:59
Author: CP8888

Thanks for all the excellent answers

Posted from Android

Date: 02/18/18 07:40
Author: Hartington

From Paddington to Reading there is only one route the sleeper can take. The same applies from Exeter to Penzance. Between Reading and Exeter there are at least 6 routes the trains use on a regular basis but whichever route they use the pace is fairly gentle. Not long after you leave Exeter heading to Penzance you pass along the sea wall at Dawlish where the line was washed away in a particularly ferocious storm a couple of years ago.

I don't know how interested you are in our non passenger operations but there is s China Clay industry near Par which sends a train to Exeter and beyond once a week and shuttles trains down to Fowey for shipping. There is also a train carrying cement that operates weekly (Wednesday usually) to Moorswater from Aberthaw (South Wales). It runs to Lostwithiel where the loco runs around and then back to Liskeard where it takes the Looe branch - the line makes a sharp and steep loop to pass under the main line then continues on to terminate under (nearly) the Moorswater viaduct. The return journey is the next day. The descent from Liskeard and the whole operation of the Looe branch (the passenger train has to do its' own reverse at the bottom at the loop) is an unusual operation. It is best seen at Coombe Junction - about a 15 minute walk down (longer up!) from Liskeard station. The train is allowed about 30 minutes from Liskeard to Coombe Junction but often doesn't need that long so it might be best to run (carefully) or use a car if you want to see both elements. The journey back to South Wales is the day after arrival.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds