Home Open Account Help 183 users online

European Railroad Discussion > "Trackview" of Régua, Portugal

Date: 03/24/18 21:45
"Trackview" of Régua, Portugal
Author: inCHI

I have some art on display near Régua, Portugal and was pondering the wildly remote possibly of traveling there. As I looked around the area on Google maps I was surprised to see that I could "streetview" the railroad line, so, "trackview." That quickly proved interesting because at the station in Régua there is a very interesting arrangement of broad guage and narrow gauge track. As you follow the "trackview" you can see that sometimes there are alternating broad/narrow switches. The bridge father along is interesting, as what seems like guard rails are just the dual gauge track. I've never seen trackwork quite like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/18 21:49 by inCHI.

Date: 03/25/18 00:42
Re: "Trackview" of Régua, Portugal
Author: boejoe

Interesting, for sure. Can't recall seeing pictures from Portugal on T.O. (in a while, at least)

Date: 03/25/18 05:43
Author: gbmott

Certainly interesting. I don't know that I have seen mixed gauge where one rail wasn't shared by both gauges. Looks in this case like the narrow gauge is either out of service or at least very lightly used.

Gordon

Date: 03/25/18 06:27
Author: 86235

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks in this case like the narrow
> gauge is either out of service or at least very
> lightly used.
>
> Gordon

I think the Corgo Line from Regua closed about 10 years ago. There were a number of narrow gauge feeder lines to the broad gauge Duoro Valley line, I'm pretty sure they've all gone.

Date: 03/25/18 20:15
Author: dwatry

You can also see the steam locomotives at Regua out-of-servie in the former roundhouse area.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.159731,-7.7849182,2a,75y,47.55h,97.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swD7BAt1OPhQ9dIVgeLRpsw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Date: 03/25/18 22:00
Author: inCHI

Yeah, as I followed the "trackview" there are quite a few lineside steam locomotives. Thanks for the comments, it seems like an interesting past.

Date: 03/26/18 17:27
Author: dwatry

I'm looking through my slides for some shots I took in Regua in 1980 of those same steam engines in steam! Hope to post soon!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds